Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting size for OBW, 4-Patch Posies, and other Kaleidoscope (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-size-obw-4-patch-posies-other-kaleidoscope-t118567.html)

sushi 04-24-2011 05:08 PM

As a newby quilter, I've just finished my first two 4-Patch Posey (lapsize) quilt tops, which turned out ok but not wonderful. I can now see that I cut my squares too large for the fabric patterns I was working with.

Many of you have posted fabulous kaleidoscope quilts here on the Board! Would you please share your wisdom as to how you figure out the size of your cuts from the fabric pattern you're dealing with?

I thank you in advance for sharing.

Sushi

gaigai 04-24-2011 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by sushi
As a newby quilter, I've just finished my first two 4-Patch Posey (lapsize) quilt tops, which turned out ok but not wonderful. I can now see that I cut my squares too large for the fabric patterns I was working with.

Many of you have posted fabulous kaleidoscope quilts here on the Board! Would you please share your wisdom as to how you figure out the size of your cuts from the fabric pattern you're dealing with?

I thank you in advance for sharing.

Sushi

The book gives the strip sizes for hexagons & octogons.
"One Block Wonders" by Maxine Rosenthal.

Pamela Artman 04-24-2011 06:16 PM

I've made several 4-patch posies and I usually decide how big to cut the squares based on how many I can fit into the amount of fabric in the repeats, so as to waste the least amount possible. If it's a smaller print, then smaller size squares seem to work the best. I usually aim for 3" and then go up or down 1/4 to 1/2 inch till I arrive at a number that divides into the amount of fabric in the repeat with the least amount of waste. But don't go smaller than 2.5 or larger than 3.5"

QuiltE 04-24-2011 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
I've made several 4-patch posies and I usually decide how big to cut the squares based on how many I can fit into the amount of fabric in the repeats, so as to waste the least amount possible. If it's a smaller print, then smaller size squares seem to work the best. I usually aim for 3" and then go up or down 1/4 to 1/2 inch till I arrive at a number that divides into the amount of fabric in the repeat with the least amount of waste. But don't go smaller than 2.5 or larger than 3.5"

Ditto to the above ... although I wouldn't go for precise use of teh whole repeat. I leave a 1/2" or so, as a "fudge factor", just in case the ruler slips and I need to square it up again.

As per another PP, the pattern book gives dimensions, though you can switch that around to your liking. As you discovered, the bigger block sizes didn't create the effect you wanted.

My first 4PP, I only used 2-1/2" block sizes .... the print wasn't overly large. I've also seen some done where the blocks were quite large ... and the results incredible.