Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   cutting vs tearing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-vs-tearing-t163222.html)

sewlilly 10-25-2011 03:55 PM

I have a wonderful place in town where I buy a lot of my fabric. However the lady who owns and operates it has begun to tear the fabric instead of cutting it. As most of you know it seldom tears straight and you sometimes lose a lot of your fabric. How do I go about telling her I would rather her cut it. She has become a good friend and I don't want to hurt her feelings.

Any suggestions?

Up North 10-25-2011 04:01 PM

Sorry but I like to tear it is straight on grain when you do I hope she give you a couple inches leeway.

Murphy 10-25-2011 04:02 PM

Don't be shy. Just tell her you would like her to cut it. You are making the purchase and I am sure she will not be offended by your choices.

QuiltnNan 10-25-2011 04:08 PM

i would rather it be torn. after being washed, cut one end up wonky, the torn ones will be straighter

chairjogger 10-25-2011 04:08 PM

agree, don't be shy.. ask for cut fabric.. however.. the tearing is with the grain of the fabric.. if you watch fabric, fashion shows.. they do both..

this has been around a few times.. both ways of throught. lots of "local quilt fabric" stores will only tear.

Odd to me .. it was like a 60's flash back for me last time I had that happen.

:)
ell

Margo in Maine 10-25-2011 04:17 PM

I have a quilt shop owner who tears wide backs...and I walked in and said I would buy if she cut and did not tear...she asked me why...I was taking it to a long armer...Another friend who was a long armer hate them...she said she would get a wrinkle...my shop owner s said when you cut and then wash it will be crooked...BUT if you tear both ends it will be straight....I looked at and she was absolutely correct...that wide back was just as straight as an arrow because it had been torn on both ends...I do not like tearing but will always do it for widebacks especially...but I cut all others

Jim's Gem 10-25-2011 05:39 PM

I tear for my backs.

LivelyLady 10-25-2011 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy
Don't be shy. Just tell her you would like her to cut it. You are making the purchase and I am sure she will not be offended by your choices.

I agree and you will probably be speaking for many others as well.

scowlkat 10-25-2011 07:26 PM

If you tear the fabric, there is no way it will be crooked, but as stated above, you have to tear both ends. The fabric will only tear on the straight of grain. If you want it cut, though, you should speak up and tell them. You are the customer - and you are always right!

Even if they cut it at the store, when I get home, the first thing I do is tear it to make sure it is straight! Of course, I always buy a quarter yard extra just in case I have miscalculated.

Sadiemae 10-25-2011 07:59 PM

"Would it be possible to cut my fabric? I would really appreciate it!"