Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   DD wants to learn to quilt! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dd-wants-learn-quilt-t105934.html)

alleyoop1 03-08-2011 05:11 AM

I can't tell you how happy my DD made me this past weekend when she said maybe she would be interested in learning to sew on a long arm! My two DD's have never shown much interest in sewing and/or quilting. Not only will it be wonderful to have someone to share with, it will be great to know someone will put all my "stuff" to good use when I have moved on to glory.

She wants a quilt for my DGS, age 10, so that is where her lessons will begin! :lol:

cherrio 03-08-2011 05:16 AM

lucky you! I have 3 daughters whose only interest in quilting is "when is MY quilt going to be done!" lol well, 2 out of 3 are done.

bamamama 03-08-2011 05:23 AM

I don't have any daughters and I'm the only one out of 4 girls who even knows how to sew. My niece asked me the other day to teach her to make a quilt. I told her I'd be honored to teach her! Can't wait, it should be fun.

PegD 03-08-2011 05:26 AM

I know what you mean. I have one daughter and all she wants to know is when her NEXT one is going to be.

Originally Posted by cherrio
lucky you! I have 3 daughters whose only interest in quilting is "when is MY quilt going to be done!" lol well, 2 out of 3 are done.

knlsmith 03-08-2011 05:30 AM

I am 38 and mine calls it "old lady" stuff. She will be 19 next month. grrr.. smarty pants.

chairjogger 03-08-2011 05:32 AM

congratulations ! Did she get more time on her hands? what sparked her interest? I am so happy for you !
I need a cattle prod for my daughter, bought a machine for my daughter in-law.. still in box. 1 1/2 years later.

Good for you !! Wonderful !

knlsmith 03-08-2011 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
I am 38 and mine calls it "old lady" stuff. She will be 19 next month. grrr.. smarty pants.

Oh! But she did ask me how to sew on buttons the other day!

nycquilter 03-08-2011 06:01 AM

my daughter made a total of ONE quilt. She included it in her portfolio when applying to school and it was LOVED and she got in! Her other work was great too (seemingly not just my opinion). Enjoy the time together.

Ramona Byrd 03-08-2011 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by knlsmith

------------------
This is normal. As SHE ages, YOU will become much smarter, and if she's like my two were, she will soon be calling you for advice for her own kids!!
My own gave me that "when I get married and have kids, I'm not going to.......(put whatever here)" and then after a few years both told me that when they opened their mouths to scold their kids, MY voice came out, saying the very same words!!

So, give her a few years, say about 4, then again suggest her learning to make a quilt prettier than any her friends have.

PiecesinMn 03-08-2011 12:51 PM

My daughter does not show any interest in learning (she's 21, but loves the quilts I make her). Her one friend does quilt (her father does and taught her) and I joke and tell them that they were switched at birth. They laugh at me. I'm hoping when she has more time, she will be interested. Saving a machine for her just in case. Maybe I can make a deal, she can teach me piano and I can teach her quilting.

Originally Posted by alleyoop1
I can't tell you how happy my DD made me this past weekend when she said maybe she would be interested in learning to sew on a long arm! My two DD's have never shown much interest in sewing and/or quilting. Not only will it be wonderful to have someone to share with, it will be great to know someone will put all my "stuff" to good use when I have moved on to glory.

She wants a quilt for my DGS, age 10, so that is where her lessons will begin! :lol: