Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Decorative built-in stitches....got a fav?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/decorative-built-stitches-got-fav-t204602.html)

Sandygirl 10-29-2012 05:57 PM

Decorative built-in stitches....got a fav??

Just curious...fhere are a ton of decorative stitches on my sewing machines that i have never used . I was going to use a double needle for straight stitching and I accidentally pushed the "triple" stitch" one. According to the picture, it looked like it would be used with a triple needle....which i did not know existed....but it worked fine when used with the double needle. It would stitch back and forth over each stitch as i sewed. I was using it to reinforce the stitched dividers used for making inside pockets for purses. I was impressed!

So, what decorative stitches do you use and where....why?

Sandy

Tartan 10-29-2012 06:14 PM

I used a whole bunch of my fancy stitches to do a couple of crazy quilt blocks. I use the buttonhole stitch for my fused applique. I have a zig zag pattern that I use for SITD sometimes. It looks like a little snake pattern going across the seam line. I use the same stitch pattern but close together for darning socks. I have 2 stitches that sew a perfect 1/4 inch cicle which I think are for string eyelets. I don't use them for that but have used then to put eyes on birds, snowmen etc. I use the blind hem stitch for hemming pants. I fiddled with the scallop stitched circle but I couldn't get it to work out perfectly.

Dolphyngyrl 10-29-2012 08:09 PM

have used them on purses

katier825 10-30-2012 01:23 AM

I use the serpentine "S" looking stitch all the time. It's a good alternative for stitching in the ditch, especially if you have difficulty staying in the ditch. I also use it around the entire quilt when I am done quilting, prior to cutting off the extra fabric. It holds the edge of the fabric down perfectly so that it doesn't flip back when I'm putting the binding on. I find it much easier to bind when I do this.

quilts4charity 10-30-2012 02:38 AM

I don't use them too much anymore but when I sewed for my girls, I used them a lot. I like the multi stitch zig-zag for butting batting together to make bigger pieces, but for quilting it's mostly plain old straight stitch. Katier, may have to try your idea....

Buckeye Rose 10-30-2012 03:39 AM

I use the deco stitches all the time on quilts....sometimes the quilt is for a young child and will get lots of use/abuse so I use a deco stitch to finish the binding....gives it lots of strength and a bit of whimsy....I also have used the serpentine stitch across seams instead of SITD....using a blending thread, it doesn't show and is so much easier on my eyes!

patsynel 10-30-2012 04:43 AM

I use alot of my decorative stitches. Right now I am making scrappy Christmas stockings, I use different stitches and different decorative threads on each one. Lots of fun in the sewing room!!

Lori S 10-30-2012 05:18 AM

I am a huge fan of the serpintine stitch ... its my "when in doubt" for quilting... especially when I want the quilting to go quickly.
I do use the zig zag stitch and the "knit" stitch , but not in my piecing or quilting.
Truth be known .. I change feet way more than my stitch.

HouseDragon 10-30-2012 11:01 AM

I have several cool decorative stitches on my Husqvarna 875 Q that I love to use on Christmas items. One looks like pine needles, one is a vine with leaves, one is a vine with berries, and my favorite looks like a curly wrought iron pattern (to me, anyway).

The serpentine stitch is very useful but it's been around since the mid-60s.
:)

Jill_in_Texas 10-30-2012 11:19 AM

This post is a real eye-opener. You all are so creative - I never thought of some of this before. :confused: