Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Denim Cathedral type quilt - Kingsize? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/denim-cathedral-type-quilt-kingsize-t192281.html)

Okiegirl 06-20-2012 07:53 AM

Denim Cathedral type quilt - Kingsize?

Hi - I'm new to this forum, and actually new to quilting. I've sewn for a long time, but have never tackled a quilt before. I've been looking for a kingsize bedspread (not comforter) for a long time, but bedspreads are hard to find anymore.
I found this pattern - http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...gallbaros.html
on how to do a denim quilt - all machine sewn, no batting. This sounds pretty easy for my first attempt.

For those of you who do quilting a lot, does a Kingsize BEDSPREAD (meaning all the way to the floor) sound too heavy, or to adventurous for a first-time quilter? I'm guessing I can sew strips of these (like two circles wide, and the length of the quilt) in the pattern, then sew the strips together to the width I desire so I can get it in my machine. Does that make sense?

Any suggestions, or hints would be appreciated. I know it will be a long process, but I love the look of this. I just have to find enough old jeans! I have plenty of scraps to be the inside material. Or, I've also thought of making the inside all one material. Not sure yet. I like the colorful, old fashioned, quilt look too.

I'm mostly worried about the weight - and getting it sewn in my machine. I have a good machine, it's just wrangling this much material once it starts getting constructed.

Thanks for the advice of all of you experienced quilters!

cjsews 06-20-2012 08:09 AM

This would be very heavy if you are to make it for a king size bed. Quilts are not bedspreads and don't usually go to the floor. Of coarse you could make it that big if you please. No rules here. I bought a summer weight spread and use my quilts on top of that. This works better than bed ruffles for me. If you are going to do your own quilting, I suggest you look up "quilt as you go" for one that big. It may be easier than quilting a king size on a regular machine.

Good luck and welcome to quilting. It is the best bug I have ever been bitten by.

fivepaws 06-20-2012 08:11 AM

I think you are very brave to even attempt anything that size on a DSM. I think that it would be very heavy. On the other hand, I love it so go for it, and keep us posted on your progress.

DebraK 06-20-2012 08:16 AM

My advice would be to have plenty of table space around you to support the quilt when you are sewing so it doesn't become a battle. I did one, and that was my only problem.

crafty pat 06-20-2012 08:17 AM

I think that would be very heavy for your first try. I have never made that pattern but if you like it I would practice on scraps and make a few before starting on your fabric for your quilt. Good luck with it and welcome to the board.

WilliP 06-20-2012 08:18 AM

Denim, even the shirt weight kind, is going to be heavy! And cathederal window is going to be a tough go with denim what with the folding and top stitching involved. Even a Muslin and broadcloth cathederal window is relatively heavy once you get all the layers going. Now that we've told you how heavy etc. go for a small sample of it --- be sure to use denim needles (they are heavier and sharp). I would do a small sample (say placemat or tabletopper size) before committing to a king size. That way you can see what the fabric might do and if you want to deal with the extreme challenges of working with denim in such a large project.

jcrow 06-20-2012 08:19 AM

WOW! What an adventuous girl you are!! Go for it. And like she said, have plenty of tables to hold it up.

Maggiemay 06-20-2012 08:24 AM

I've made several denim quilts with no batting. They are a nice weight & not overly heavy to sleep under. Your bedspread would be heavy overall just due to the size you are making it. That's not a problem, but it can be a little awkward toward the end of the sewing process.

Your construction method makes sense to me, but for something this big I would do it in 4 or more sections then sew them together, rather than doing it a few rows at a time. I think doing by it that way it will be easier toward the end so you won't be sewing a few rows onto the majority of the completed quilt/bedspread. My only other thought would be to make your original circles big, like 12-15", but you can play around with that to see what size you like best.

Okiegirl 06-20-2012 10:09 AM

Thank you for all the replies! You guys are fast! One of you mentioned using muslin or broadcloth (instead of the denim) - I had not thought of that, and it might be lighter weight. Denim was just "free" if I could find enough used jeans to cut up! But, the muslin or broadcloth is a good idea too. I'll have to think on it. I will take ones advice and try a few smaller pieces (maybe do some pillows?) and see what I think.
My creative juices are flowing - I hate that when I'm stuck here at work! :-)

Emily'sMom 06-20-2012 10:16 AM

I'm making this excact pattern but it will be used as a play mat for my grandson outdoors