Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Denim Rag Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/denim-rag-quilt-t210547.html)

MommaDorian 01-09-2013 10:25 AM

Denim Rag Quilt

I'm a working on a denim rag quilt. I'm having a terrible time cutting the seam allowance, to make them fray. I have a pair of snips, that I got a quilt show. They are definitely not going to cut through 2 layers of denim and 2 layers of cotton. Any ideas? I need something that won't make my hands hurt, trying to cut through.

dunster 01-09-2013 10:27 AM

Are your snips spring loaded? That's what you need for cutting edges on a rag quilt.

MommaDorian 01-09-2013 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5773966)
Are your snips spring loaded? That's what you need for cutting edges on a rag quilt.

Yeah, they are. The blade says ToolTron. They will barely cut 2 layers of cotton, let alone 2 layers of denim.

QultingaddictUK 01-09-2013 10:39 AM

I totally agree with you the snips are not hardy enough to cut through them I know I bought a very expensive pair just for rag quilts so what I actually use a pair of Dressmakers shears, just use carefully so you cut the raggedy bit you want :)

MommaDorian 01-09-2013 10:43 AM

Which brand of spring loaded clippers are best?

dunster 01-09-2013 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian (Post 5773997)
Which brand of spring loaded clippers are best?

Good question. I have a small Fiskars snips and large pair of Fiskars spring loaded scissors and have used them both for rag quilts, preferring the snips. I bought a pair of Heritage Cutlery rag quilting snips but haven't used them yet. For some reason I also have a pair of SoftKut scissors (I think they were on sale somewhere). I have only used flannel and corduroy in my rag quilts, not denim. When I make another rag quilt, I will try out all the different scissors and snips and see which works best. My bet is that it will be the Heritage Cutlery 6.5".

MommaDorian 01-09-2013 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5774107)
Good question. I have a small Fiskars snips and large pair of Fiskars spring loaded scissors and have used them both for rag quilts, preferring the snips. I bought a pair of Heritage Cutlery rag quilting snips but haven't used them yet. For some reason I also have a pair of SoftKut scissors (I think they were on sale somewhere). I have only used flannel and corduroy in my rag quilts, not denim. When I make another rag quilt, I will try out all the different scissors and snips and see which works best. My bet is that it will be the Heritage Cutlery 6.5".

I'm really curious how you like the Heritage Cutlery clippers. I found some on Amazon, but I don't want to spend $25 to find out they don't work or work as well as Fiskers.

kookey426 01-09-2013 04:03 PM

I also use Fiskars snips..they are great...and lightweight..stays good and sharp!

oksewglad 01-09-2013 04:03 PM

I use denim to make mudroom rugs in much the same way rag rugs are made. And yes it is hard to snip them. The last rug I didn't snip before it was used. When dirty I washed it and then a lightbulb went on in my head. Fabric is weakest when wet. So before the rug went into the dryer I started snipping with a standard Fiskars shears. Was much easier--and will do this from now on.

Pat M. 01-09-2013 05:05 PM

Why not cut two layers at a time? Maybe longer to snip but better for you hands and wrist.