Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Design help! How to feature these blocks? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/design-help-how-feature-these-blocks-t279161.html)

subyz 06-01-2016 05:00 AM

Design help! How to feature these blocks?

1 Attachment(s)
I made these appliqued 'Sunbonnet Sue' blocks to feature in a tot quilt. I need alternate blocks or something that will not compete too much with them. I also want to use the fabric pictured to the left of them somehow - preferably not just on the back! It seemed too busy for that alternate spot. In a border? Thanks for any suggestions! [Sorry the photo turned out sideways! Can't imagine why yet!]

ManiacQuilter2 06-01-2016 05:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I myself would set them on point with adding triangles to float them. The blocks are really cute. You can try using different colors. I did this with a block exchange.

subyz 06-01-2016 05:08 AM

I happened to see that and LOVED it! I never thought of setting them on point like that. I think that's my #1 option at this point. Thanks 'Mannie'!

Jane Quilter 06-01-2016 05:32 AM

Ditto to that.

Doggramma 06-01-2016 06:10 AM

Well, being more of a modern quilter, my first thought is to surround the Sunbonnet blocks with a solid color, and use squares or strips of the fabric along with the blocks. That would showcase the Sunbonnet blocks.

dunster 06-01-2016 06:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I would set them like the SBS in this quilt. Yours would not look quite the same, since your SBS blocks are all different and have different colors in the background, but this setting would emphasize the blocks and you could use your other fabric in the chains and borders.

nonnie60 06-01-2016 06:30 AM

Have you thought of a picture window.....use outside scenes for the alternate blocks that would incorporating the lower fabric, and using it as a border. Just a thought.

amyjo 06-01-2016 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Doggramma (Post 7565333)
Well, being more of a modern quilter, my first thought is to surround the Sunbonnet blocks with a solid color, and use squares or strips of the fabric along with the blocks. That would showcase the Sunbonnet blocks.

this would be perfect for your blocks and then use the other for your backing. That way a 2 for 1. could be used either side.

Bree123 06-01-2016 06:30 PM

I made (well, it's almost done) a Sue & Sam quilt similar to what Dunster posted, but I actually was thinking that with your gorgeous bright colors, it might do better with a bunch of pale grey, beige, white & ivory fabrics instead of a clear, recognizable pieced pattern. It would create a nice canvas to do some lovely quilting designs while providing a nice backdrop for the applique squares -- great job, by the way, I really love all the details. especially the dog and the flowers. If you keep the other fabrics neutral, your beautiful applique will be able to truly shine in all its glory!

moonwork42029 06-01-2016 07:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by subyz (Post 7565265)
I made these appliqued 'Sunbonnet Sue' blocks to feature in a tot quilt. I need alternate blocks or something that will not compete too much with them. I also want to use the fabric pictured to the left of them somehow - preferably not just on the back! It seemed too busy for that alternate spot. In a border? Thanks for any suggestions! [Sorry the photo turned out sideways! Can't imagine why yet!]

While your's are not panel pieces, I think this layout (or similar) would work great. It would allow you to put bigger pieces of your other focus fabric into play without being overwhelming. (NOT MY QUILTS OR PHOTOS, JUST GOOGLE IMAGES)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]551392[/ATTACH]

Also, a "warm wishes" setting would highlight your work:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]551393[/ATTACH]