Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Design-a-Quilt quilting machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/design-quilt-quilting-machine-t47846.html)

Stitchalong 05-31-2010 02:57 PM

Has anyone heard of the longarm professional quilting machine by Design-a-quilt? One is being sold used and I have never heard of it before. Also, I can confirm there is such a machine, but no web information on it. I have a phone number, but thought I would ask if anyone is familiar with it. Thanks for your help.

BKrenning 05-31-2010 05:13 PM

You might want to google DAQ quilting machine and read the "Quilty as Charged: Undercover in a Material World."

They are out of business now for many different reasons. Bottom line--stay away from it. Keep saving for a machine built and backed by a reputable company. I would suggest Bailey Home Quilter and Voyager at the low end of the price range. If you've got a few more pennies to spend--check out the Fun Quilter, Tin Lizzie/Viking Mega 18 x 8/Pfaff Grand Quilter, Pennywinkle, KenQuilt and the Homesteader. If you've got lots of extra pennies, check out the Handiquilter HQ 16, Fusion & Avante.

If you won the lottery--go for a Gammil, APQS, or A-1 and get it all--computerized, in home setup & training, auto advance, hydraulic lifts, etc.

Stitchalong 06-01-2010 09:14 AM

Thank you so much for the information! I was sure there must be issues or why no information. I am saving for a Baily Homequilter, but get a little impatient. Thanks for your wisdom.

creed 03-25-2014 11:22 AM

Yes there is a quilting machine by that name I had one and sold it .

Originally Posted by Stitchalong (Post 1107275)
Has anyone heard of the longarm professional quilting machine by Design-a-quilt? One is being sold used and I have never heard of it before. Also, I can confirm there is such a machine, but no web information on it. I have a phone number, but thought I would ask if anyone is familiar with it. Thanks for your help.

I had one of those machines about 5 years ago and sold it, worked pretty good, but could not find parts for it.

ttratt 05-29-2014 07:19 AM

I just bought a used DAQ-12 quilting machine, unfortunately it was before I saw the above information....I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get a manual for this machine.....It works well for a few inches, then thread breaks....Help!!!!

Shelby 05-29-2014 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by ttratt (Post 6735981)
I just bought a used DAQ-12 quilting machine, unfortunately it was before I saw the above information....I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get a manual for this machine.....It works well for a few inches, then thread breaks....Help!!!!

On the needle plate, there could possibly be a small burr. Easy to fix, run some round sanding paper through the hole.
Also, if it has the tall thread guide behind the thread, it may need to be bent a small amount forward.
These were the two main problems with mine and thread breakage.

cindynvb 05-29-2014 04:29 PM

I have one, I've had it for a long time. Anyway , they're not being made any more so that's why you can't find a manual.
Ttratt, you're probably moving the machine too fast or it's not threaded right. Do you have a threading diagram?
Is the bobbin in right? I think it needs to be going clockwise. Also some thread works better than others. Use a good strong thread.
Another problem I had was having the tension on the quilt itself. The quilt itself should have some give in it.
I have a "sort of" manual. It doesn't have much info but if you want I could scan it and e-mail it to you. Pm me if you want it.

HouseDragon 02-26-2015 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchalong (Post 1107275)

omg! After reading the link to amazon in the other thread, I googled Dan Puckett (quilt, not wrestler) and got an eyeful about the quilt he destroyed by throwing bleach on it at the International Quilt Show in Houston.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...lt-2122468.php

I'd pass on the machine: it's no longer being made nor supported.

Eeeeek! After more research, be aware that the machines have a tendency to catch fire.

Herabird 02-17-2017 05:37 AM

It's a modified industrial

These are just modified Juki industrial machines. Very heavy duty and basic. The feed dogs were removed and handles added. It was sunk into a carriage base so as to move on a frame. The foot controller was swapped out for a control unit nearer to the handles.

Since these are from the 90s or so by now the wiring likely needs to be replaced and this is best left to people who know what they are doing.

crashnquilt 02-17-2017 06:44 AM

Go to the Handi Quilter website and look in the ads.. You might find a really good deal there. And Handi Quilter will still help you with the machine even if your not the original owner. They are really good people there.