Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Design wall - could I make it out of flannel? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/design-wall-could-i-make-out-flannel-t220461.html)

Seaside gal 05-01-2013 11:09 AM

Design wall - could I make it out of flannel?

I have built in bookcases in my sewing room and I want to hang white flannel fabric to cover the bookcases and use as a design wall but I also need to be able to open the "curtains" to access the books, etc. Would flannel be heavy enough to hold the quilt blocks? Do you think I should put weights in the bottom hem to make the flannel hang flatter?

I was thinking just to get two curtain rods to hang the flannel but would something else be better so I could close the two panels together. The width is about 100 inches.

What do you think quilters? Suggestions?

Jan in VA 05-01-2013 11:20 AM

Absolutely! Flannel makes a good design wall.
Curtain rods might stand out from the wall a bit, though, which in my opinion, will make it harder to hand press the blocks against the flannel. I like mine against a hard surface....such as like house insulation - foamboard (It's light blue) from Lowe's. These come in 4ft x 8ft. pieces and are very lightweight. I mounted mine horizontally on the wall with lightweight screws. If the wall is a light color -- eggshell/white/buff -- the flannel will likely match it pretty well. I can hardly tell mine is there when there are no scraps or blocks on it.

In your case you might try double stick heavyweight tape and mount directly to the bookcase

Or, having reread your post, you might use ducttape to attach flannel to these foam boards and also to make a hinge of sorts between two panels of them so that you could fold, yet allow them to stand on their own -- like a decorative floor screen would.

Jan in VA

Tartan 05-01-2013 11:40 AM

I have a flannel backed tablecloth that I use as my design wall. The blocks stick better with a solid surface behind the flannel because you have something to press them against as you smooth them on. If you weighted the bottom with another curtain rod it might put enough tension on the flannel for smoothing the blocks on?

AChristina 05-01-2013 11:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I use a flannel backed tablecloth and hang it from my wire shelving with the hangers with the clips on them. I can take it down when I don't need to use it. Very portable and easy to store when not in use.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]411185[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]411186[/ATTACH]

Maggiemay 05-01-2013 11:48 AM

I used curtainrods to hang my design wall. I have a rod at the top & one at the bottom to weight it down. I need to be able to take it down (like now when we are trying to sell our house!) & it works out great. I used flannel too.

quilttiger 05-01-2013 01:54 PM

I have a lovely design wall at one end of the room...3 light blue insulation boards nailed to the wall and covered with backing flannel, 6 by 8 feet wide. However, one design wall is not always enough, lol. I made a folding screen with three panels cut down some. I taped two boards together on one side and the second seam was taped from the other side, so the screeen could be folded like an accordian when not in use. I covered this one with an old queensized flannel bed sheet. Didn't cost much. The beauty is that you can make it any size you want.

Valerie Ann 05-01-2013 04:28 PM

My design wall is composed on two tablecloths that have flannel backs sewn together, hung (hooks nailed into top of wall) on a 110 inch hollow conduit pipe (light weight metal) complete with pool noodles on the bottom (created pocket on bottom for easy in and out) so that I can roll it and take it with me. Grand total for cost? $15

Seaside gal 05-02-2013 08:44 AM

Thanks to all for your great ideas and for mentioning things I had not thought of. Going to think some more and incorporate some of your ideas to fit my space. Thank you.

sandyl 05-02-2013 09:15 AM

I have a full sized mirror in my room. Don't use the mirror but it makes a wonderful holder for my large vinyl,flannel backed tablecloth.