Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Design Walls (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/design-walls-t107057.html)

isabel825 03-15-2011 04:46 PM

I use a large, cheap flannel back tablecloth from Walmart! I got this idea from a friend in a quilt guild. I lay everything out in the floor because I have natural light coming into my sewing room! It works very well!

Hope this helps!

amyjo 03-15-2011 08:11 PM

anybody ever get those old screen projector thingamajigs that roll down when you used to watch the slides in school or the old maps that roll up. I have one upstairs that I think I might hang when I get everything going.

GrammaPatches 03-15-2011 08:12 PM

I used the foam insulation board and covered it with felt. But after using it, I felt that the blocks didn't always stick to it very well. So I bought a cheap vinyl tablecloth and put it over the felt upside down. I think that works better than the felt did.

grugirl 03-15-2011 08:19 PM

I also bought the polystyrene (foam insulation board and wrapped it with flannel. it is a perfect design wall and as posted before, some blocks stick and when pieces get large, they fall and need pinning. The polystyrene board was only $10 for 4x8 feet sheet. I also cut it down to the size that works for me.

barbb baumgardner 03-16-2011 05:45 PM

I bought an inexpensive flannel backed plastic table cloth. It worked great but then one of my quilting buddies purchased a Fons and Porter design cloth. It is really nice. It has a 2 inch grid which makes it easier to know how large/small your quilt is working out to size. Since I am not a pattern lover, but rather a free spirit designer, I needed something/place to put my
"creation" where I could stand back and look at it. The Fons and Porter cloth is expensive and works well, but the inexpensive flannel backed table cloth worked just as well.

cny_sewer39 03-16-2011 07:55 PM

I went to my local JoAnns (back in NY) and purchased 2 yards of white felt (72 inches). Then I turned it down 2 1/2" and sewed a tube. Then I slid the design wall on the rod and hung it up. I keep it rolled up and out of the way when not in use. I have put a picture of it on the board.

debra

Sweeterthanwine 03-16-2011 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by cny_sewer39
I went to my local JoAnns (back in NY) and purchased 2 yards of white felt (72 inches). Then I turned it down 2 1/2" and sewed a tube. Then I slid the design wall on the rod and hung it up. I keep it rolled up and out of the way when not in use. I have put a picture of it on the board.

debra

Excellent idea. Will have to try this one.

silvam 03-18-2011 02:24 AM

I use the plastic table clothes with the flannel in back I tacks at the very top (ceiling meets wall) and also 2 at the bottom - it works great - but I truly love the idea of the project board sometimes I need something smaller and this can be set up on my table thank you all

cassie69emt 03-18-2011 04:04 AM

I fyou have a flannel backed table cloth you can use that