Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Designer SE just can't free motion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/designer-se-just-cant-free-motion-t1509.html)

nashville girl 07-23-2007 06:34 AM

Own a Designer SE for about 1 1/2 years, before that Designer 1. My primay hobby is quilting, and my goal has been to learn free motion quilting. I have had this SE to the shop 2 times, back to Viking "factory" once. In a free motion workshop this weekend and was the only one with thread breaking... also the only Viking. The teacher had 15 years experience, and her advice... send it back to "factory" for repairs.
I am hearbroken! Tried every needle, thread, threading, new bobbin holder, all tensions, and my machine is so clean it is sterile.
Is anyone else having such a problem? I feel like I have purchased a $$$$$$$ lemon. I have been sewing for 25 years and never felt so frustrated.

bj9patch 07-23-2007 07:31 AM

Are you using a darning foot or big foot?
Is your stictch length at "0"?

bj9patch 07-23-2007 07:31 AM

I meant stitch length! Have not had enough coffee yet :D

Yvonne 07-23-2007 07:48 AM

I would certainly take that machine back to the shop where you bought it and ask the sales people there to show you how to do free motion sewing. If they can't make it work tell them you want your money back. It's just not worth the headache! You are a quilter and you deserve a machine that is easy to work with. Lot's of luck.

Extreme Quilter 07-23-2007 08:18 AM

Nashville Girl, so sorry to hear of your Viking woes. Did you have any similar problems with your Designer 1? I have a Designer I and my free motion success varies with the type of needle and/or thread or my particular rhythm that day. But I have heard from Viking repair people that the Viking SE has been plagued with free motion problems. Maybe this is a "recall item" issue if they have enough complaints. I would certainly persist in bringing my machine back to the dealer you bought it from until they fix it to your satisfaction. Good luck.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 07-23-2007 10:55 AM

I would contact the company about it. Ask for advice...if that is unhelpful...ask for a refund or exchange....

nashville girl 08-20-2007 05:41 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. I gave up and took it back to the shop again. They were very sympathetic and sent it back to corporate again. Just picked it up night before last. When I took it to the shop, they asked me to show them what it did. It broke 3 needles right there on the sales floor. The note that came back with it seemed to indicate that they had replaced everything down in the bobbin area. I teach 6th grade science and this is the second week of school. No time to sew until this weekend. Going to AQS Nashville show 23 & 24 on a personal day from school. I am a little reluctant to even try again for fear it will still be messed up. We tried 3 sizes of 3 types of needles and 4 types of thread with each one. It free motions about 2 to 3 minutes and then starts yanking the thread down in the bobbin. We'll see this weekend. I am grading papers tonight and took a break to see who had read my post. Thanks again. I'll try to get back on this Sunday pm.

nashville girl 08-20-2007 05:44 PM

With regard to contacting Viking. There is no way. I tried the web, telephone information, the tel. number posted on the web, and no way to talk to anyone no matter how I tried. I am fairly computer savy, and Viking has non-existant customer support. Pretty shocking. I guess I just assumed that a company that large would be more available to customers.

nashville girl 08-20-2007 05:48 PM

And about the Designer I... I loved that machine. Never should have upgraded. I just wanted the USB connection and a few of the newer features. I didn't get into free-motion until after I "upgraded" to the SE. At AQS this week I am taking "Really Free Motion Quilting." They supply the machines. I wonder what brand/type it will be. I am trying to reserve judgement on my SE, but I just can't bring myself to try it after getting it back. I just feel I have made a seriously expensive mistake with this machine. Perhaps I should cut my losses if doesn't work and change to Bernina. I really don't think Viking cares one bit if a customer has a lemon. They are just completely unavailable. The folks at the shop are kind, and I consider them friends. They are at a complete loss as well. This is a corporate problem, and they are just unavailable to me.

nashville girl 08-20-2007 05:53 PM

Yep, I have set the stitch length to all kinds of settings. I have used the darning foot, and I purchased that new free motion quilting foot (the one with the spring). I don't remember the exact price of that foot, but it was high. I shudder to calculate the money I have spent on this machine and all its accessories. Nothing really seemed to solve the problem. Again, I have not tried it since I got it back, so maybe I will feel better about everything Sunday after I try it again.