Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Designing Quilt Patterns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/designing-quilt-patterns-t87065.html)

NorthernDeb 01-02-2011 12:53 PM

Hi all... I've been working on creating new quilt patterns for about a year now. Only one is in a quilt shop (I'm a real beginner at it :). Anyways, I always wonder what everyone is looking for... what type of design, colors, easy or complicated, traditional or modern, calm or busy? I think most designers ask themselves this. My daughters and I usually create our own pattern for ourselves but now we want to share them. People have asked for some of them and I've given quite a few away. I plan to put some up for sale and some will be freebies on my blog.
Like I said, I'm a real beginner at this so I would love to have some direction. I've been quilting and sewing for most of my life and it's always been a hobby. I'm retired from home design (kind of a forced retirement considering the economy) and this will be my new occupation as I head into my "golden" years. Any comments would be welcome.

nwm50 01-02-2011 01:01 PM

great idea to start here !Good luck on your endeavors!! Maybe u need to post patterns that u have or samples of work done ?

vcinwa 01-02-2011 01:09 PM

I look for designs that catch my eye, usually more intermediate skill levels, contemporary or traditional. I like patterns that offer yardage charts and directions for various size quilts. And of course accuracy is so important. When I trust a designer is accurate I have more of a tendency to go back to her/him.

NorthernDeb 01-02-2011 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a quilt I designed for my brother-in-law who has a home in Arizona. He lets us stay in his home down there for a couple of months each winter. This was a thank you quilt for him and his wife. It's not a pattern that I plan to sell... I just designed it for him.

I'm really hoping to hear what you all are looking for. I see that some of the ladies want sewing machine cover patterns. I'm going to get right to work on one of those. What else does everyone want?

Joes quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152072[/ATTACH]

dixiebelle162002 01-02-2011 01:18 PM

I like using paper pieced patterns. I know that some blocks or designs can be done the regular way or paper pieced, so it would be nice to have quilting patterns that offered both when ever possible.

NorthernDeb 01-02-2011 01:21 PM

I love paper piecing... so glad to hear you like those patterns, dixiebelle.

vcinwa 01-02-2011 01:22 PM

Beautiful quilt, very Southwest!!

Mattee 01-02-2011 01:32 PM

I think everyone is different. I suggest you find your niche. Design what you love. If your designs are good (which I assume they are :) ), people with similar tastes will flock to buy your designs!

vcinwa 01-02-2011 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
I think everyone is different. I suggest you find your niche. Design what you love. If your designs are good (which I assume they are :) ), people with similar tastes will flock to buy your designs!

Great advice!

Lori S 01-02-2011 01:58 PM

Having purchased several "Self- Published" patterns , I can offer a few suggestions.
1. Organize the directions, in a very clear step by step using and Outline format. Title each Step.
2. Clear accurate yardage requirements that are keyed to the photo , so placement of each color is very obvious. Nothing is more frustrating than having to try to figure out what color number 1 is . Do not make me dig for these, I do not want to have to open the pattern up in the store take it all apart to find any yardage requirements.
3. Having an alternate color photo/example helps those that are visual to start to see it with other possibilites. I have family that purchases a pattern and trys to duplicate the exact colors. Many are color challenged and will be drawn to a pattern first by its colors.
4. If it is paper peiced , have the printed papers in the packet. I purchased a expensive pattern , And the first step was to trace the pattern. The pattern was copywrighted so I could not take it to a copy place.... and the pieces were too large to fit on standard 8.5 X11 paper. Major frustration.
5. For those who do want to dupilcate the exact fabrics , tell what fabrics you used. Manufacture and designer.. all the info.
6. Do have a web site so if there are corrections they can be accessed.
7. Have down loadable patterns. Once I find a great pattern designer I always look for what they have thats new I might like.... and most shops will not carry all the patterns from one designer.
8. Have a true beginner test your instructions to see if they are clear to all. Having been quilting for a long time I can read the intent of the author .. but if you are new to quilting ... its easy to get frustrated.
9. Offer guidance/yardages etc for making it larger/smaller than just one size.
10. Eleanor Burns made her reputation/business from having the clearest instructions anyone could follow and remains one of the most trusted names in the business. Study one of her patterns and instructions ..for insight and guidance.