Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   determining fabric content (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/determining-fabric-content-t55157.html)

G'ma Kay 07-18-2010 06:59 PM

Last spring I believe I saw a thread on here about how to tell if fabric is 100 percent cotton. It involved fraying the cut edge just a bit but I don't remember the detail. Would like to go back to Walmart and look over the $5 table if I can figure this out. Anybody know this trick?

sharon b 07-18-2010 07:05 PM

Don't know about the fraying edge, but the burn test I have heard and tried.

Light it on fire if it burns it is cotton if it melts it is a blend with polyester

Maybe someone else knows another way

cjomomma 07-18-2010 07:07 PM

I only know the burn test too. I am gonna watch this and see if there is another way of telling.

Tink's Mom 07-18-2010 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b

Light it on fire if it burns it is cotton if it melts it is a blend with polyester

The burn test is the only way I know either....although I don't think that Walmart will be too thrill with you lighting fabric in the store

:lol:

Tink's Mom 07-18-2010 07:09 PM

That

judylg 07-18-2010 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom

Originally Posted by sharon b

The burn test is the only way I know either....although I don't think that Walmart will be too thrill with you lighting fabric in the store

:lol:

Nope, they probably wouldn't like that! But what else are you going to do if there is no fabric content label??? lol

G'ma Kay 07-18-2010 07:21 PM

I'll bet the employees are lighting it up so they can see what they might want to buy.

sharon b 07-18-2010 07:54 PM

LOL Maybe that is why they are closing so many of the abric departments...LOL too many ladies lighting up in that area :wink:

Gal 07-18-2010 07:55 PM

The 'scrunch test', this is not 100% to be certain but a good guide non the less, pure cotton does crease a lot when scrunched up and held tightly in the hand, Rayon does this too but Rayon is usually a little thinner to the feel, than cotton. Poly/cotton does not scrunch up so much, it bounces back a little better, also Poly/cottons usually look the same on the back as the front, where as cottons are usually printed on the surface and on the back you can see the white of the fabric in places. These tests are a good guide when you can't 'burn down the shop' and after a while you can tell the difference quite well. The 'burn test' is what they use in the textile industry to be 100% sure, my Dad was a textile chemist and this is the method they were taught to use.

Gal

Scissor Queen 07-18-2010 07:57 PM

The burn test is the definitive test but you can also scrunch it up in your hand. A 100% cotton will wrinkle, a poly cotton won't.