Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did you buy your machine at a large quilt show? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-you-buy-your-machine-large-quilt-show-t164040.html)

roselady 10-28-2011 07:07 PM

I am looking at new machines, it's been 25 years since I have bought a machine so I am buying a NICE one. Would it pay for me to wait and purchase at Road to California, in January, rather than buy locally now? I have heard that it is possible to get one half off...is that true?

Holice 10-28-2011 07:11 PM

large shows always have deals. However, make sure you can get local service.

memaw4 10-28-2011 07:11 PM

My last one I bought, I got off of E-Bay.....ONLY.....because my local dealer didn't have anymore. Otherwise I would of gotten it off of him. He told me that if I was going to find one, that would be the place I would. He also told me he would service it for me. He is a Janome dealer and the machine is a Janome and works perfect. It was brand new. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Candace 10-28-2011 07:19 PM

Sometimes your local dealer will match show prices. It's best to check. It's really better to buy local so you can get local support and classes. The show prices may motivate your local dealer to offer you some things they normally wouldn't;>

Dolphyngyrl 10-28-2011 07:23 PM

Yes they usually have classroom models for great deals that have had little use I got mine for about almost half off

dunster 10-28-2011 07:35 PM

I decided which machine to buy at a large show and got a price quote. Then I went to a local dealer, and he agreed to match it. I would advise buying from someone local who has a great reputation for service.

BEWARE - at the show they told me that I could buy from them and get the machine serviced under warranty by my local dealer. When I asked the dealer, he said that was not the case.

Crqltr 10-28-2011 07:36 PM

It would be great if your lqs has a booth at the show. Any chance of that?

simplyme 10-28-2011 07:37 PM

You can by a demo machine at large quilt shows at a discount. What is nice though is you will be able to try and compare all the machines at one time. That way you will have a better idea what is available and what fits you best. Good luck.

lynnegreen 10-28-2011 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by memaw4
My last one I bought, I got off of E-Bay.....ONLY.....because my local dealer didn't have anymore. Otherwise I would of gotten it off of him. He told me that if I was going to find one, that would be the place I would. He also told me he would service it for me. He is a Janome dealer and the machine is a Janome and works perfect. It was brand new. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Exactly the same thing I did when I got my Janome. I am very happy with the decision. I am lucky to have two Janome dealers close by for regular servicing though

roselady 10-28-2011 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Crqltr
It would be great if your lqs has a booth at the show. Any chance of that?

If only!! I am about 5 hours away from the show. Where I live, there is really only one dealer for each different brand of machine, so there is no competition, no reason for dealers to come down on prices much. Even if I buy locally, we may be moving in the next year, will I be stuck with no one to service my machine?