Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did you press before cutting OBW fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-you-press-before-cutting-obw-fabric-t203854.html)

AngelinaMaria 10-21-2012 11:19 AM

Did you press before cutting OBW fabric?

It doesn't look like the directions to the OBW quilt (I have the book and I've read cutebun's tutorial) include pressing the fabric at all before starting cutting. I was wondering if that was correct? Luckily, my fabric (purchased online) arrived in pretty good, smooth condition so it shouldn't be a problem. I am going to cut it along the middle fold like cutebun's recommends (the book has you working with strips that are 42 inches in length with is pretty crazy).

Treasureit 10-21-2012 11:22 AM

OBW cuts need to be accurate...I would press out any big wrinkles...or if you pre-wash then definitely iron.

QuiltE 10-21-2012 12:02 PM

Press and spray starch!

I worked with the 42" WOF and it really wasn't a problem at all.
Actually, I think it'd be like adding work to the project by splitting it in the centre as you'd be making twice as many stacks of the fabric.

Are you ready to go at it?
Same fabric?

I'll be looking forward to seeing how it all comes together! :D

nativetexan 10-21-2012 12:18 PM

you would get much better matching cuts through the layers if you did not wash the fabric at all.

AliKat 10-21-2012 01:19 PM

I not only pressed the fabric but Best Pressed it because the side triangle seams are not straight of grain. No problems sewing. It went rather quickly.

ali

Tartan 10-21-2012 01:31 PM

Press out any distortions in the fabric or you will have distortions in the blocks. DO NOT wash the fabric for a OBW or you will have trouble lining up the print.

QuiltE 10-21-2012 02:31 PM

I had washed mine before I knew it should not be.

I asked the LQS where I was taking the course, and they said, not to worry ... press it well, as well as spray starch it well.

The starch put the sizing back in and allows the layers to slide for you as you are getting the layers matched up.
I had NO problems!!

As always ... I am glad it is pre-washed ... no fretting about shrinkage or colours running later.

HouseDragon 10-21-2012 02:38 PM

I'm glad to read your post. I MUST wash all my fabric before working with it. Otherwise I get nasty contact dermatitis from the chemicals.

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5602210)
I had washed mine before I knew it should not be.

I asked the LQS where I was taking the course, and they said, not to worry ... press it well, as well as spray starch it well.

The starch put the sizing back in and allows the layers to slide for you as you are getting the layers matched up.
I had NO problems!!

As always ... I am glad it is pre-washed ... no fretting about shrinkage or colours running later.

bearisgray 10-21-2012 03:47 PM

I made a kaleidoscope top with washed fabric. I did lightly size this before cutting the kite-shaped pieces - I had NO PROBLEM with the fabric getting out of shape.

Actually - sometimes fabrics get skewed when they are processed - so I would think the prints that had gotten 'off'' then that washing would get the fabrics 'back to normal' and the prints lined up again

fireworkslover 10-22-2012 08:10 AM

All the OBW's I've made are Art Quilts, so no need to wash them. I ironed my fabric after I cut it into sections (before stacking and lining up the print wih pins).