Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did Your New Machine Transform Your Quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-your-new-machine-transform-your-quilting-t146693.html)

wishfulthinking 08-21-2011 05:42 AM

Just wondering. If you went from and older mechanical machine to a new computerized one, did your quilting drastically improve? Or if you just upgraded to a really nice machine, did you drastically improve? Was your new machine transformational? If so, why do you think?

Rebecca VLQ 08-21-2011 06:06 AM

It was huge for me to go from quilting on my "regular" machine to one that is on a frame. HUGE.

ontheriver 08-21-2011 06:13 AM

I quilt now on domestic machine, it is a Viking Mega Quilter so it has a 9 in. throat and it is fairly easy. Getting a frame for it next week so I don't know. I'm hoping it will make it easier and bypass all that pinning and basting once it is on the frame. I know there will be a learning curve. I have a couple of tops I finished years ago lined up to be practice models.
Rebecca VLQ, can I ask what you mean by HUGE. Was it harder, easier, did it take long to learn, etc. I am excited to get my frame, but really don't know what is involved.

MIJul 08-21-2011 06:17 AM

Yes! Finally got a Pfaff and I can't believe what a HUGE difference it made to have that IDT. My quilting is much better, more even and way easier to do.

Rose Marie 08-21-2011 06:20 AM

Like me, I bet alot of you do one step at a time.
It costs more in the long run when you try plastic tables, sliders, halos, new computer machine with large throat, etc.
I am now going into the long arm set up with no long arm just a strait stitch. Money is the bottom line.
It would have been cheaper to just get a long arm to begin with but few have the funds to do that.
The long arm machine is way over my budget so will contend with a straight stitch with a 9 inch throat.
Nothing compares with a long arm.

amma 08-21-2011 06:21 AM

My old and new machines all have their own special features/qualitites. I use them all, and it has improved my quilting. :D:D:D

mamasuze 08-21-2011 06:29 AM

I had an old, small Singer and went to a Janome 6600. My FMQ is improving all the time. I love having the larger throat, love the "needle down" button, and it's much easier to regulate the sewing speed now. If finances allowed, I'd have a longarm, but that's not in the picture for me.

1000projects 08-21-2011 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
It was huge for me to go from quilting on my "regular" machine to one that is on a frame. HUGE.

Yes. I can make big quilts now without having to move heavy fabric bits. Also, no more spray adhesive!

Maia B 08-21-2011 06:36 AM

It wasn't so much going from mechanical to computerized, as going from crappy to quality. I went from a 1990's basic Singer (junk) to a Baby Lock Quest Plus. Immediately, the accuracy of my piecing improved. I was then able to start machine quilting, something that Singer never did decently. I'm still very new to machine quilting, but I've added Berninas old and new and found that I enjoy machine sewing more than ever before. I now look for opportunities to incorporate deco stitches into projects and am starting to use the machine for appliqué and quilting, which I used to do exclusively by hand.

Just Me... 08-21-2011 06:37 AM

Absolutely!