Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which dies should I get for Go baby (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dies-should-i-get-go-baby-t224530.html)

nwm50 06-26-2013 03:33 AM

with the baby go...5" sq is great to use as well as the strip. Also use the value die which has the 3 shape/size on it. I tend to forget that I don't want anymore appliqued die as u have to stitch them down before quilting it but darn....they're so adorable like the cat, dog , etc. well just have a good happy time with your go!

Pat1969 06-26-2013 03:48 AM

I have the GO. I have the strip cutter and the GO comes with the value die. The only dies I have purchased are triangle dies The value die has the 2" (finished) triangle. I purchased the 3", 4" and 6" triangle dies. I think it is a lot faster and easier to do HST using the dies. They have the corners trimmed so I don't have ears to cut after sewing them. I also have a 4" quarter square cut die. It is great for flying geese along with the 2" triangles for the wings. I agree with some of the others about the strip cutter. It seems just as easy to cut strips with the rotary cutter so I don't use it as much as I should. And it is a lot more expensive to buy. I don't do much applique so I haven't bought any of the other shapes. If I am doing a quilt with a lot of triangles, it is much faster to cut them with the go and the sewing is faster too. No more drawing lines on squares.
Pat

MAMs 06-26-2013 03:48 AM

Beautiful quilt and very fun to look at!

SmickChick 06-26-2013 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by qwkslver (Post 6144213)
I can tell you which ones NOT to get. I got the strip cutter. It's faster to cut with a rotary cutter and no more accurate. If you don't fold the fabric just right you still get waves.

I would like to see this taken to a vote of those of us with the GO. I bet it's 9 to 1 for getting the strips. I RESPECTFULLY disagree with your findings.

QltrSue 06-26-2013 04:24 AM

I recently bought a Go cutter and have been thinking how to use it and build my die library efficiently. Mine came with a "value" die that has a (finished) 4" square, 2" square and half square triangles that finish at 2". It occurred to me that to get other dies that would coordinate with those sizes would be a good idea. So I bought the half-square triangles that finish at 4" and also the quarter square die(4") which would allow many patterns, like Ohio star and pinwheel, etc. right now, I'm on a "die diet", till I use them. Will ask for some other sizes for my birthday and Christmas. Hubby is happy to have ideas for those occasions. JMHO . Have fun, whatever you decide! I love mine!

misspriss 06-26-2013 04:43 AM

I have the Go Baby and it works for me just fine. Some of the Go dies also fit the Baby.

mpspeedy2 06-26-2013 04:57 AM

I purchased the Baby Go and mostly applique dies. The majority of quilts I make are for Linus and the cute animal dies etc. are great for decorating the little quilts. I only use the iron on machine applique method. Linus quilts hopefully get a lot of loving and washing.

RavenLunaStitch 06-26-2013 05:39 PM

SmickChick, I agree. I use the 2.5" strip die WAY more than any other one. Talk about quick binding and jelly rolls using your own fabric! It's also good for making crazy scrappy strips from fabrics sewn together--just throw them on the die and you have instant scrappy strips for sashing, binding, anything. I could never rotary cut something that cool with any accuracy. The key to accuracy with the Go Baby (or the Go) is not to put too many layers of fabric on it. If all you want to do is cut scraps into usable pieces, the Go Baby uses all the useful smaller shape dies. The largest shape I have and use is the 5" square. Anything larger will not work on the Baby. It's only because of my Baby that my scraps are getting used!

lynda53 07-06-2013 04:52 AM

I also have the 2.5" strip cutter which I also use to cut heaps more 2.5" squares..I collect these size squares the most.I like to get a few fat qtrs together and have a cutting session where I will use the value die,small tumbler and hexagons until the fabric runs out.Love scrappy!!!

cannyquilter 07-07-2013 01:39 PM

Thanks for the input, unfortunately my sister is not going to be able to bring it back for me so will have to re think whether to buy here or get one in US and pay postage etc.