Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   disappearing marker pen (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/disappearing-marker-pen-t181145.html)

emt2004 02-29-2012 12:47 PM

disappearing marker pen

I need to draw on fabric and was wondering if anyone has used these pens. When you iron over the marking it is suppose to disappear. Any info would be greatly appreciated.........Thank you , Michele

marytoddliz 02-29-2012 12:50 PM

I used one and it disappeared after a few weeks. Or right away if you get it wet.

My husband used it to write a check, not the signature just the amount! We sure were surprised when we got a call asking if we really intended to send a signed blank check!

Sophie2 02-29-2012 12:53 PM

I have used a couple different brands and they work nicely. I do, however, always test a piece of fabric first. I have used some white one and just recently started using some jell type. Sorry, I'm not at home right now so I am unable to tell you the brand.

Tartan 02-29-2012 12:56 PM

It depends on what kind of pen it is. Some if you iron it will set the ink, some you get out with water and some gradually disappear in the air. OR if you are talking about the Frixion pens that disappear when ironed over there are several discussions on QB on Frixion pens(type in Frixion Pens in search box). One word of caution for the frixion pens is that on dark fabrics they can sometimes leave a faded or bleached line? The marks do reappear if the fabric gets cold enough. I do use them for my small sewing projects.

ckcowl 02-29-2012 01:24 PM

there are a number of different (disappearing) ink pens- the newest ones i know of are the frixon pens that when you press them they disappear- a lady at a lqs told me the colored ones leave a white line- the black one disappears.- any marking (tool) you use should be tested before using on your project---no matter what - or who recommended it- you should always test! i have ruined beautiful quilt tops because someone said---just use this it always comes out---well---guess what----not always... always test

RedGarnet222 02-29-2012 02:02 PM

I use the frixson pen all the time. (spelled wrong.. but it is the iron off one.) The only thing I have to say is test it out on your fabrics first. I had one medium toned fabric lighten up at the place where I used the black one after ironing. It didn't matter on that quilt, but like I say test on the fabric you are using.

There are a few more colors available now too I noticed. I haven't tried any but the black.

ai731 02-29-2012 04:01 PM

Our guild uses the Frixeon (sp?) pens. Like one of the above posters said, test first. Our experience is that they "fade" really well on light-coloured fabrics, but on very dark fabrics they seem to leave a white-ish or silvery line behind (that's with ironing - I don't know what happens if you just leave it to fade with time, or wash it).

wildwoodflower12390 02-29-2012 04:24 PM

I have used a Pilot FriXion pen in blue, with 'Cowboy Spring' by Prim-Point Designs, which was a color with crayons and embroidery,all the marks disapeared when I set the coloring with my iron after doing embroidery. I am now working on Merry Little Christmas by Crab-apple Hill with this same pen and so far have been very satisfied with the pen.

hearthhush 02-29-2012 04:32 PM

I love the FriXion pens, i have used the black and yellow. Wonderful. had no trouble with them.

rachelg 02-29-2012 04:39 PM

I just did a quilt using a Mark B Gone pen from walmart. It is bright blue ink and washed out in cold water. Stayed on til I washed too. So I could mark and not worry about it disappearing when I have to leave it for extended periods. But I am new to all this.....and don't have a quilting store near me so Walmart was it.