Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do i have to use Embroidery Thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-i-have-use-embroidery-thread-t49898.html)

Jerrie 06-16-2010 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
Yes you can use regular sewing thread. It's just a little finer and doesn't have the shine. I've used it many times when I needed a color I didn't have. My gf uses it for her sample stitch outs all the time. The thread companies want you to think you *have* to use emb. thread, so they can sell more thread. Use what you have until you can get what you want. Have fun.

Thanks Melinda i will try using my thread on the cones i have some of that

sewgull 06-16-2010 09:00 AM

I have has sucess using regular thread for embroidery.
Regular thread dose not have the shine that embroidery does.
In fact I am doing a quit now that has applique, and I am using embroidery and regular thread. It look so good.
Will post pictures soon.

weezie 06-16-2010 10:51 AM

I think a lot depends on the machine's likes and dislikes. I have a friend who did successful practice sew-outs using serger thread (it is thin and fairly inexpensive). It worked on her high-end Viking. I tried it on my Janome 11000 and the 11000 does NOT like it at all. I use only embroidery thread to do machine embroidery since that fiasco.

Quilter7x 06-16-2010 10:53 AM

Serger thread is thinner and may break easier. I have an embroidery machine and only use embroidery threads for it.

Can you do a sample with the serger thread to see if you like the way it looks?

craftybear 06-16-2010 11:11 AM

I would just practice with different threads, good luck!

DebbyT 06-16-2010 01:27 PM

I have the same machine and I love it. I have only practiced with cone thread and have had good results. If you want to purchase the embroidery thread, you may concider on-line options. I bought most of mine from E-bay. Once your are logged in on e-bay, search for 'machine embroidery thread'. You will get about 1000+ options to choose. Some of the thread is generic but I am still new and it works for me. Prices are often very low compared to Jo-anns.

DebbieJJ 06-16-2010 01:31 PM

Just make sure to use stabilizer, too. It makes all the difference in the world to the finished embroidery. In embroidering blocks for quilts, I use the regular (NOT tear-away or dissolving) stabilizer. It may not be the right thing to use, but I'm just beginning to quilt, so I have a lot to learn, too. I just make sure my stabilizer is the same size as my unfinished block size.

Marge L. 06-16-2010 03:15 PM

I recently acquired a Brother SE350 and have been trying what threads I already had. I had no luck with the rayon embroidery thread. It kept shredding on me, but it was old. It had been cheap thread purchased at WM several years ago and that may have had a lot to do with it. I do know that keeping it in the frig helps, but I don't have enough room for that. Have had good luck with the polyester. Have a lot to learn about my machine & no one around to help me out. Good luck.

littlehud 06-16-2010 07:08 PM

I have used regular thread to embroider and it worked fine on my machine.

dancey_pants 03-02-2014 10:41 AM

Hey!!

Originally Posted by sharon b (Post 1172233)
I have always just used the embroidery thread , so I will be interested in what others say :wink:

I have heard you can use the serger thread, but have never tried it. It does not shine like the other thread.

I have to disgree. I used to work at a company that made custom bedding and window treatments and all we used was serger thread. If you go to the right place you can get many different colors and sheens of serger thread. More than likely you will have to go to a website and order in bulk, but I believe that most of them allow you to do an assorted bundle which would be best for the home sewing/embroidery anyway. I just got my new embroidery machine and I am very excited to get moving on it. I would love to hear from you guys!!:o