Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do I Need Batting for Flannel Back? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-i-need-batting-flannel-back-t145075.html)

CAJAMK 08-14-2011 07:50 AM

I made a small baby quilt for a gal at work. The top is cotton material pieced. I have some pink flannel (sorta thin but not too much)that I want to use for the backing. Do I need to use a thin batting too? Also, how to iron the flannel? And, is this combination ok to FMQ? This is my first time using flannel. Thanks to all!

jdiane318 08-14-2011 07:53 AM

I would add batting, the thickness is up to you, your quilt, your choice. You can do whatever you want and however you want.

Granny Quilter 08-14-2011 07:54 AM

It depends on how you intend it to be used. One thickness cotton with one thickness flannel makes a great light weight blanket for wraping the baby in. Someone gave me one like that for my first babe, 52 years ago, and I have made lots of them for gifts. Always appreciated by the recipiants.

ckcowl 08-14-2011 08:02 AM

it is your choice- but if the flannel is single sided- or thin i would add batting- it just makes the quilt softer/fluffier cozier.
flannel is nice to work with but the thin stuff can be a bit stretchy- add starch- and press carefully- do not iron around on it-and stretch it out of shape-
some of us use flannel in lots of our quilts- it makes them soft and wonderful.
for baby quilts i usually go for a good (lofty) batt instead of the heirloom thin batts...they hold up better- and with baby quilts you want them to hold up.... warm & natural is a good choice- or dream poly is wonderful

plainpat 08-14-2011 08:25 AM

I have 2 quilts at the LA quilter now,K & Twin size.I included the flannel backing for the twin size & specified, no batting.Being used as a sofa throw, want it warm, but not bulky/heavy.
Have don't several string quilts the same way,flannel back, no batting.They're warm as toast :)

Judith1005 08-14-2011 08:26 AM

do you have enough to try a practice piece. you could try it with batting and without.

JJean 08-14-2011 08:32 AM

I made a small quilt (18 x 18 inches) and used batting (warm and natural) and it would not drape. Yours is probably bigger but from my experience I would not use warm and natural batting.

quilttiludrop 08-14-2011 11:59 AM

I recommend using a light weight batting with the flannel back. Since you are in an area that does experience cold weather, it would be nice to have the added warmth.

SuziC 08-14-2011 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Judith1005
do you have enough to try a practice piece. you could try it with batting and without.

That's what i would do, try it and see how you like it then decide if you want batting and how thick.

PaperPrincess 08-14-2011 01:48 PM

Make sure that you measure, wash, dry and remeasure the flannel. Repeat until it stops shrinking. Flannel often shrinks A LOT and may take several washings till it stops. It will be thicker & softer when you are done.