Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do I need to SID after Hand Tying Quilt??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-i-need-sid-after-hand-tying-quilt-t214604.html)

Beginner10 02-23-2013 06:41 AM

Do I need to SID after Hand Tying Quilt???

HI...I just got done Hand Tying a quilt and found out I like doing it.
Now I have 2 questions because I machine pieced the quilt. I don't know if machine piecing makes a difference but I figured the more you know about the flannel quilt the better. Also flannel both sides and cotton batting used.
The top is a panel but the backing is pieced (or vice versa). A tie in center of each simple pieced square.
First: Do I need to SID after Hand Tying? If I do...I would have never hand tied. I thought I was skipping that part by tying. Besides...I wanted to try my hand at tying a quilt.
Second question concerns the border:Can I hand stitch close to the seam of the border or do I need to do the SID for the border? My hand stitching would certainly not be like the hand quilting I see on the beautiful quilts that are hand quilted. There is only 1 border on the quilt before I add the binding. I hope you understand this 2nd question.
I know what I mean...just can't put it into words for some reason.
Thanks so much for your help.
Vi

QuiltnNan 02-23-2013 07:07 AM

as long as your ties are as close together as your batting requires, there's no need to quilt it further.

quilt addict 02-23-2013 07:13 AM

No you don't need to SID. Just as Nancy said your ties need to be as close as the batting you used indicates on the package.

PaperPrincess 02-23-2013 07:26 AM

The batting will tell you what to do. Look at the package. It will tell you how far apart you need to have something (tie, stitch etc.) to hold the batting secure. Remember that the dimension on the packaging should be measured in both directions. As long as your ties are within the recommended measurement, you are all set. As far as the border, it's your quilt, you can do either of the ideas you have. However, depending on the width of the border, you can just tie it too.

Teeler 02-23-2013 07:27 AM

I love the look of hand-tied quilts. Can we see a pic of yours?

Dolphyngyrl 02-23-2013 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5882220)
as long as your ties are as close together as your batting requires, there's no need to quilt it further.

I agree as long as you follow the battings recommendations you shouldn't need to SITD

Beginner10 02-24-2013 06:19 PM

Thank-you to all who helped me with my little problem.

You are the best :)

quiltingcandy 02-24-2013 06:35 PM

I very rarely tie a quilt and SID - it is either or - but I have done both when the ties are going to be too far apart. And I have one quilt that I tied in 1992 which is still in use today and it has held up the entire time. I wanted it extra fluffy so used 2 layers of batting and the ties are 10 inches apart - because I didn't know any better at the time. So do what you think looks best to you.