Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do I really need about a hundred more squares?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-i-really-need-about-hundred-more-squares-t33898.html)

Naturalmama 01-11-2010 10:08 PM

I'm looking to make a queen that comes way down - right now I have 120 6" squares that will be sewn together in 4's - so I guess they will become 11.5" - or 11" in the final quilt..... I was also going to sash between them - I don't know for sure - maybe 1.5" sashing? And a 4" border?
I figured that if I made the larger blocks (of 4) then I would have 30 of them right now - it sounded like a lot until I figured this... but I'm thinking that means I need at least 104 more smaller squares (or 26 if I sew them together)- does this sound right?

Also - I so apologize for asking something that should be my work, but I'm struggling with this - will 5 yards of fabric be enough to do the sashing and border and binding? Or should I quick order more before it's gone?

ghostrider 01-12-2010 04:56 AM

I got a bit fuzzy on the "queen that comes way down" measurement ;-) , but here's what I got. A layout of 7 x 8 11" (fin) blocks with 1.5" (fin) sashing and 4" (fin) border will give you a finished quilt measuring 97" x 109.5". That's what the additional 104 6" blocks would be, anyway. You didn't say if this is to be a blanket or bedspread style (meaning with or without a pillow tuck) and that makes a big difference.

Your 5 yards is enough if this is the size you want. It comes to 2.4 for the sashing, 1.25 for the borders, and .76 for the binding (at 2.5" cut), for a total of 4.41 yards. Hope that helps.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-12-2010 05:07 AM

Wow, lots of math in this one.

Naturalmama 01-12-2010 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Suzie
Wow, lots of math in this one.

That's why I'm SOOOOOO glad I found this forum - or I would NOT be doing this! :D

Thanks Ghostrider - that definitely helped! I'll just keep making those crumb squares then! (I don't know exactly what kind of style yet - maybe a pillow tuck....)

Elisabrat 01-12-2010 07:39 AM

ask Eddie he is a WIZ with numbers he can figure it out in about 2 seconds flat.. sigh.. not me.

ghostrider 01-12-2010 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
Thanks Ghostrider - that definitely helped! I'll just keep making those crumb squares then! (I don't know exactly what kind of style yet - maybe a pillow tuck....)

Let me know if you need help again once you decide. I LOVE math. :oops:

Naturalmama 01-12-2010 10:29 AM

I will absolutely take you up on that! :thumbup: Thanks!

ghostrider 01-12-2010 11:20 AM

As an FYI, the 7 x 8 layout numbers above will give you an 18" drop at the foot and sides with a 12" pillow tuck. Normal pillow tuck is between 10" and 20" depending on the thickness of your pillows. A 7 x 9 layout (finished quilt of 97 x 122) would give you the 18" drop and a pillow tuck of 24". For that you would need another 28 of the 6" blocks. The 5 yards would still work out for the larger quilt (using closer to 4.65 yards).

Naturalmama 01-12-2010 12:54 PM

Is it correct that you lose about 5% of the quilt measurement after it's quilted? If I added one more large block to the 18" drop size, then it would touch the floor - but if I lost 5%, then it might be perfect...... or I could go with the 18" block and also do a dust ruffle..... Thank you so much btw for doing the figuring. It helps so much!!