Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do I wash fabric or not? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-i-wash-fabric-not-t106013.html)

jeannie t 03-08-2011 10:07 AM

I am trying to learn applique . do I need to wash fabric to remove sizing before I applique or not? and what do you use steam a seam or something else this is for a wall hanging thanks in advance for any help.

Scissor Queen 03-08-2011 10:08 AM

I don't wash fabric and I use Wonder Under. Works fine.

Mariposa 03-08-2011 10:15 AM

I always wash my fabrics, and I use either wonder under or steam-a-seam.

quiltsRfun 03-08-2011 10:22 AM

Two answers, two opinions. I think you'll hear of advantages and disadvantages for each. Try it both ways and see what works best for you. :)

debp33 03-08-2011 10:24 AM

I always wash fabric if it's a fat quarter or larger. And I use Wonder Under.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 03-08-2011 10:25 AM

I seldom wash and I use light weight fusible interfacing. I like to stitch interfacing to the right side of the fabric and then turn it to create a nice turned under edge.

Now, you are up to three answers and three opinions. Pick one and try it out. Try out another one on the next project and soon you will know what works best for you.

MadQuilter 03-08-2011 10:28 AM

Some iron-on applique products actually state on them to prewash fabric and dry without dryer sheet or the sticky may not work right. I try to get the chemicals off the fabric before adding the iron-on. (However, I have done small pieces without washing - but those were for wall-hangings)

ktbb 03-08-2011 10:38 AM

lots of options on this one - will you be leaving the applique raw edge or stitching it by hand or machine? The advantage of pre-washing for an applique project is that by removing the sizing, the bonding material adheres better to the fabric. If you're stitching it down anyway after, the amount of bonding isn't too big of an issue since the stitching will hold the piece in place. If you think that the piece will ever be washed, be aware that NOT pre-washing will result in some shrinkage..a carefully bonded should not pucker up, but you never no (all cotton fabrics will shrink some.

If you plan to fuse only with no stitching of any kind, use the bonding agent for non-sewing projects, in which case I'd for sure pre-wash so that the bonding will be as permanent as possible.

So, you see, there really is not one single answer to your question...

gaigai 03-08-2011 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by jeannie t
I am trying to learn applique . do I need to wash fabric to remove sizing before I applique or not? and what do you use steam a seam or something else this is for a wall hanging thanks in advance for any help.

You will get 500 replies pretty much evenly split down the middle. Some people SWEAR you must prewash to prevent bleeding etc. Others (like me) SWEAR you don't need to. So, in the end only you can make up your mind. :-D

Lobster 03-08-2011 11:49 AM

I always prewash to prevent bleeding, and also because fabrics may shrink unevenly. If you want to see some of my appliqué (hand done), look at my avatar!