Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you belong to a quilting bee? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-belong-quilting-bee-t40544.html)

ShowMama 03-24-2010 07:22 AM

Do you belong to a quilting bee? If so, what is your bee's name?

My bee is a group of 8 fun-loving quilters and we're called The Knotty Quilters. Get it? ;o)

We meet once a month, usually at someone's home, or sometimes at a restaurant for a special occasion. We've done block exchanges in the past, but this year we're doing a row robin exchange. A few months ago we had a fabric exchange where each member brought a bag full from her stash that she no longer wanted. Then we just poured it all out on a large table and had fun filling our bags back up. It was like shopping without the expense, and no new storage space needed. We each went home with a bag of fabric that was "new". Anything left over was donated to our local Blankies for Adults program, who provide quilts to adults undergoing chemotherapy or dialysis.

Jim's Gem 03-24-2010 10:24 AM

I have a group of ladies from church and we get together one weekend a month. Usually from 5-11pm Friday and 9-3 on Saturday. We will also hit quilt runs and go to quilt shows together. We do not limit it to quilters but it is mostly quilters that come.

mpspeedy 03-24-2010 11:12 AM

WE have a small group of ladies that are also members of our large guild. We meet every other wednesday morning at a local Bernina dealer/custom dressmaking and alteration shop. We usually bring some kind of handwork or a quilt related item we are having trouble with. We also exchange books and or magazines we have enjoyed and are finished with. After a couple of hours of swapping information, most of us go out to lunch together. Today there were 5 of us and 4 of us went out to lunch.
I know of other Bees who are more structured. They have swaps, and block exchanges etc. etc. Ours is more for socializing with other quilters.

thequilterslink 03-24-2010 11:13 AM

yes, we have a group of 9 women that meet monthly at each others homes. we have done block swaps,and round robins, now we mostly just quilt for ourselves and we do a yearly raffle quilt. The proceeds from the raffle quilt goes for fabric and batting, we make quilts anyone in our vicinity that has a house fire. we are the Cut-Ups.

Debo 03-24-2010 12:52 PM

ctsgjs

Where are you located? I noticed you said rural central TX. I'm in Valley Mills right outside of Waco.

quiltorbust 03-24-2010 02:35 PM

There is a group here that quilt together - one of us moved away but she stay as involved as possible. We are doing a BOM this year. We get together once every two weeks to work on our seperate projects together.

Boston1954 03-24-2010 03:51 PM

We have a group in our church. We call ourselves The Sewing Sisters. We get together almost every week, (weather permiting). If everyone showed up on any given day, we would be about 11 people.

ShowMama 03-30-2010 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Debo
ctsgjs

Where are you located? I noticed you said rural central TX. I'm in Valley Mills right outside of Waco.

I live at Rogers. All those in my bee belong to the Wildflower Quilt Guild in Temple, which meets on the third Tuesday of the month, 6:30 p.m. at the Cultural Activities Center. You're very welcome to come and visit any time.

Debo 03-30-2010 08:18 AM

Thank you for the info. I will try to make it sometime.