Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you buy quilt kits?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-buy-quilt-kits-t204480.html)

DonnaR 10-28-2012 03:10 PM

I love to buy kits. If I really like the fabric it is in, I buy. I also do patterns and buy my own fabric. But I have nothing against letting someone else pick fabric for me.

nycquilter 10-28-2012 03:11 PM

I've bought two kits in 20+ years of quilting. One is (hopefully) being removed from the UFO list during Sandy. It is a Storm at Sea design with Jinny Beyer fabric. The other was removed from the UFO list earlier this year. Honestly, I have no idea when or why I bought it!! But done it is--

mucky 10-28-2012 03:56 PM

I do both. If I really like the quilt colors in the kit will buy it although I found that the colors in magazines are not always true. I sent one kit back because of that problem.

MaryLane 10-28-2012 03:59 PM

I had never until July. Then I bought several at an estate sale. I don't plan to make them as sold but the price was right. I also bought one because I didn't want to find 35 fabrics at about the same time.

JanTx 10-28-2012 04:04 PM

I love kits. I also love bundles - that sometimes come with patterns and sometimes do not. My LQS will pull 5 fabrics for Take 5 or other five yard patterns and sell them as a bundle. I know the owner has a better eye - a more creative eye - than I do. I love to take advantage of her ability to pull things together. When I do put my own together there I get her advice as I go so ... might as well have her do the whole thing once in a while. When I have a lot of projects to do - for a bazaar perhaps - I get my daughter to go fabric shopping with me. She has a great eye, also. I simply don't. I tend to be very Matchy-Matchy.

Annaquilts 10-28-2012 04:05 PM

I haver bought new kits one time. I had to have the fabrics in it. The kits consisted of 8 FQ.I buy used kits if they are nice quality like Moda and have fabrics from a certain line like a jelly roll and extra yardage.

batikmystique 10-28-2012 04:58 PM

One of my first quilts was a kit...a Stonehenge wall quilt using their fabrics. I was looking for earth tones with texture and their fabrics just fit the bill, and I loved the pattern. There was plenty of fabric (for what I call the "oops factor"), and had some scraps left over that I used in another project. I think it's just a matter of liking the fabric in a kit well enough...if they are the colors/prints you had in mind in the first place, then there's nothing wrong with purchasing a kit. The majority of the time I choose the fabric myself, though.

Kitsie 10-28-2012 05:06 PM

Did when I started. Found it a great way to learn. I may buy patterns now, but not kits. Welcome!

asimplelife 10-28-2012 05:17 PM

If I see something that I absolutely love I'll buy a kit if available. Sometimes I'll buy them on sale if I love the fabric at that value and might use it for something else. It is sometimes hard for me to decide when I see an attractive quilt if it's the pattern I'm drawn to or the fabrics or both. Usually it's the fabrics!

kentuckyred 10-28-2012 05:34 PM

I've never bought a kit- they seem so expensive to me and I'm so new to quilting that I'm afraid I won't cut it right and end up with too little fabric to finish the project. I like to pick my own colors and fabrics. But I have to admit that I've gotten some ideas for future projects by looking at the pictures on kits :D