Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you buy quilt kits?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-buy-quilt-kits-t204480.html)

QuiltingByCourtney 10-28-2012 11:56 AM

Do you buy quilt kits??

I see all these beautiful quilts on this board, I'm just wondering, do most quilters buy kits or do most buy a pattern then pick their own colors etc...thx :)

alleyoop1 10-28-2012 12:03 PM

I don't buy kits. I prefer to buy my own fabrics. I also like to "re-design" patterns to fit my particular ideas.

Sunnie 10-28-2012 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 (Post 5619083)
I don't buy kits. I prefer to buy my own fabrics. I also like to "re-design" patterns to fit my particular ideas.

Same here, plus I make some up as I go. LOL

Buckeye Rose 10-28-2012 12:08 PM

Usually, when I see/buy a pattern, I am seeing it in different colors. I haven't bought a kit yet, but have seen some very pretty ones and want to try one in the future. I usually am making a quilt with someone specific in mind and try to tailor that quilt to the persons decor/tastes.

gollytwo 10-28-2012 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 (Post 5619083)

me too
I always think I'd see my quilt everywhere if I made it from a kit. Unpleasant thought.

MrsBoats 10-28-2012 12:19 PM

I do both. I like kits because I'm wishywashy like nobody's business when it comes to choosing colors-and the more colors, the worse I am. With a kit, someone has already done the matching for me. Occasionally a fabric (or a line) will catch my eye, and then I hang on to it until I find a pattern to go with it. I very very rarely buy just the pattern first.

sewingsuz 10-28-2012 12:20 PM

I don't buy kits, infact I just use my stash and pick a pattern that looks interesting.

Deborahlees 10-28-2012 12:21 PM

I don't buy kits, as all the fun is putting the fabric together....and I have a lifetime stash I am working off of.....

nygal 10-28-2012 12:23 PM

I only bought a quilt kit once it was my very first quilt. That was over 33 yrs ago. I am always afraid that I will somehow be short in one or more of the fabrics so I shy away from them. Some are just too expensive too.

spokanequilter 10-28-2012 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats (Post 5619125)
I do both. I like kits because I'm wishywashy like nobody's business when it comes to choosing colors-and the more colors, the worse I am. With a kit, someone has already done the matching for me. Occasionally a fabric (or a line) will catch my eye, and then I hang on to it until I find a pattern to go with it. I very very rarely buy just the pattern first.

Ditto this.....I will buy a kit if I love the sample quilt or wallhanging. If I need a quick gift and don't have a lot of time, buying a kit saves the effort and time it takes me to put fabrics together... I work in a quilt shop and I spend a lot of time cutting and packaging kits. They are very popular with our customers.