Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do You Cut Your Quilt Pieces from Templates? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-cut-your-quilt-pieces-templates-t144564.html)

Pam Riggs 08-12-2011 10:56 AM

I cut each with a rotary cutter. Started that way and can't seem to stop.

TheSevenYearStitch 08-12-2011 11:10 AM

My mother used plastic templates to cut out all of her squares. She felt it was "the right way". Yeah, that lasted about 5 minutes with me! Without my Olfa mat, I don't think I would be quilting! Why torture yourself? If you go that route, you may as well hand stitch the whole thing and make a grand total of 2 quilts in your lifetime.

sueisallaboutquilts 08-12-2011 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by TheSevenYearStitch
My mother used plastic templates to cut out all of her squares. She felt it was "the right way". Yeah, that lasted about 5 minutes with me! Without my Olfa mat, I don't think I would be quilting! Why torture yourself? If you go that route, you may as well hand stitch the whole thing and make a grand total of 2 quilts in your lifetime.

This post is so funny! LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sewbizgirl 08-12-2011 12:13 PM

LOL! Funniest answer! :lol: :lol: :lol:

fabric_fancy 08-12-2011 12:28 PM

i base all my cutting on

if there's a short cut to achieve the same results i take it.

AbbyQuilts 08-12-2011 12:44 PM

Now I mostly use rotary cutting and strip piecing if I can but I started out with templates and scissors. I always have 1 quilt in the works that I do that way. I call it my slow down and smell the roses quilt. Although my last quilt
I have pretty much stopped and laid down with the roses lol :D
I have been working on it for a year and have not progressed much. Ohh well it will be there when I pick it back up

I think quilters should learn the basics without the tools that way if they have a block that cant be rotary cut or something then they will know how to do it

BellaBoo 08-12-2011 01:19 PM

I have to cut pieces using a template I wouldn't quilt. Too tedious and boring for me and I'd waste too much trying to get the pieces all cut the same.

jme 08-12-2011 01:45 PM

I do both but at first it was only because I didn't have any rotary patterns. I'm getting a bigger pattern stash now. I like scrappy quilts and sometimes it's harder to rotary cut scraps.

Flying_V_Goddess 08-12-2011 02:13 PM

With previous quilts I have cut out every freaking piece indivually with scissors. When I first started quilting I tried the rotary cutter and sucked at it. Later picked up a better rotary cutter and rulers and watched YouTube videos. Been going okay so far. Started out cutting the strips for the binding. So I've been trying to consider strip piecing or cutting when making quilts now. But if its a weird shaped piece then I'd go with the template.

Greenheron 08-12-2011 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts

This post is so funny! LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But so true!