Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you do free motion qulting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-do-free-motion-qulting-t24817.html)

leahday 08-30-2009 06:48 AM

Hi everyone,

Just wondering, do you largely free motion quilt or use a walking foot?

If you've never free motion quilted, why?

I'm working on a free motion quilting blog at:

http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com

and would love your opinion!

Cheers,

Leah

Dancing Needle 08-30-2009 07:04 AM

Leah, I just checked out your Blog and it looks great! Lots of ideas and inspiration. Your directions are very clear and I love that you share what inspires your designs. I'm just starting to free motion quilt. I've taken a class and just need to practice on smaller pieces so I can get up the nerve to try larger quilts. Part of what makes me hesitant to do free motion is that I'm not sure what to do. I'm really looking forward to seeing the designs you create to give me inspiration (and courage). I've signed up for your weekly updates and bookmarked your page so will be checking back frequently. Thanks so much!! :thumbup:

justwannaquilt 08-30-2009 07:09 AM

Kinda a funny story. When I first started quilting I did not know you could use a walking foot, I always thought you had to use a quilting foot. So it was kinda my own sink or swim moment! I had to learn fast because at the time there was no such thing as a "local" long arm quilter! (my husband was in the army!)

I like yoru website and the challenge you have posed to yourself!

littlehud 08-30-2009 07:55 AM

I love to free motion quilt. It's become my favorite part of quilting. After a few tries I got a Juki with a 9 inch throat and it became much easier. Now I want a long arm, but there is no space or money for it. So I just keep working with my Juki. Someday maybe........

Marcia 08-30-2009 09:21 AM

Wow!!! Leah--I just looked at every single day of your blog and I am sooooo impressed with your free motion quilting!!!! I have bookmarked you and will be checking back every day to see what you are quilting!!! You are a true inspiration. I think if I start with your tutorials that I might actually be able to do this too!!!! THANKS!!!!

leahday 08-30-2009 09:51 AM

Thanks to all of you for checking out the blog and telling me a bit about your free motioning experience.

I also quilt on a Juki TL-98 QE, which has a 8.5 inch throat. From my experience, you can quilt just about any size on a small sewing machine so long as you use a thin batting.

I really like Quilter's Dream poly and cotton in the request (thinnest) thickness because it reduces the bulk of your quilt dramatically.

Definitely check back often. Now that I've started adding videos, the blog is much more interactive. Also I plan to add photos of new projects that are being quilted with these designs. It's amazing how different the same shape can look when it's quilted with a slightly different fill pattern around it.

Happy Quilting,

Leah

swimer girl 08-31-2009 09:12 AM

What a great site for helping those of us (who are too cared try it) learn to do machine quilting

I am going to try the wavy lines....thanks so much

Katrine 08-31-2009 09:35 AM

Leah, your blog is very, very helpful. Your illustrations and explanations are so good. I am checking each day and having a little practice as well.
Quilters Dream is my favourite too and I was interested in your use of the "request" grade as I had been told I would be better with the "select" for machine, but it is weighty with a queen or king size - now I shall get some "request". I do fmq on a Janome 6600P.

sewnsewer2 08-31-2009 12:24 PM

For the most part I free motion meander (because I like that look). I'm not very good at stitch in the ditch. :lol:

Unfortunately, I don't know how to free motion any other stitch.

JoanneS 08-31-2009 06:49 PM

Ilooked at every design you have so far on your daily blog, too. I really like your designs and directions. You're doing great!