Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you ever look at quilts on here and... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-ever-look-quilts-here-t54597.html)

ginnie6 07-15-2010 06:50 AM

just think that you are not really a quilter? Some of them are so beautiful and at times I despair over ever making something that pretty. Especially when I spend a day like yesterday......ripping out seams! I guess i should give myself a break.....I just started quilting last year after all and I have made what I think are some pretty quilts.

shaverg 07-15-2010 06:53 AM

You definitely should give yourself a break.

I have been quilting for almost 30 years and to this day I am amazed at the quilts on this board.

I still have to rip out, although sometimes the ripping may be do to the fact many of us are such perfectionist. Whats the saying if you can't notice it on a galloping horse. LOL

My friend and I sometimes call ourselves the Queen of Rip.

sueisallaboutquilts 07-15-2010 06:54 AM

Ginnie, YES!! I really don't have nearly as much imagination as I would like. And I know I'm like a lot of others being hyper-critical of my work. The only thing I feel that I do well is hand quilting. It looks pretty good :)

Pam 07-15-2010 06:54 AM

I am one that truly admires other's work. I do not have a hard time commiting to work on a quilt, but I have a hard time getting it done, my next project is ALWAYS more exciting than the one I am currently working on.

I do have to say though that I am putting on the top and bottom border of a charity top that I made yesterday. Notice I said top, certainly NOT a quilt, yet, just some scraps sewed together until I get my wide butt into gear to get it done.

CraftsByRobin 07-15-2010 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
just think that you are not really a quilter? Some of them are so beautiful and at times I despair over ever making something that pretty. Especially when I spend a day like yesterday......ripping out seams! I guess i should give myself a break.....I just started quilting last year after all and I have made what I think are some pretty quilts.

Yes ... it really makes me nervous ... to send my "blocks" or whatever to other folks as I don't feel I'll ever be up to par ...

Ditter43 07-15-2010 07:00 AM

No.....This is not a competition...it's supposed to be fun!
I strive to improve and dream of making that one quilt that wows everyone that sees it, but mainly I do it because I love fabric and all the different things that can be created with it.
Learn to love the journey :D

Charlee 07-15-2010 07:03 AM

I see quilts that have tons of work into them and know that I will never make one. I don't have the patience that it takes to put the effort into them and I'm too lazy!
But I'm a quilter all the same... :)

shaverg 07-15-2010 07:04 AM

The lovely thing about this board. Is we are here to support each other.

Remember we all were beginnners at one time.

leaha 07-15-2010 07:06 AM

I have days when I wonder if I can make this or that, and I have days I'm amazed at some of the things I have made, so it goes both ways for me! Just wait you will have a day when you look at something and say "wow I made that!" then ya wonder if you can ever do it again, LOL

TanyaMas 07-15-2010 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by CraftsByRobin

Originally Posted by ginnie6

Yes ... it really makes me nervous ... to send my "blocks" or whatever to other folks as I don't feel I'll ever be up to par ...

this is the part that scares me the most lol
im such a newb lol im scared senseless about sending something i make to a "real" quilter lol
i get paranoid and embarassed til i almost feel bad for the recipient lol
I know.. no quilt police, and every1 starts as a beginner, but i think it will be a long time before i feel confident enough that i wont feel nothing i make is good enough :D Im working on it though :D