Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you ever... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-ever-t79191.html)

Flying_V_Goddess 11-28-2010 05:44 AM

...make your binding even before you start on the actual quilt?

Today I found some of the black Kona cotton I bought for binding for another quilt I'm working on (currently on hiatus while working on the Slipknot quilt). I figured since I'm not working on the Kittie quilt and the Slipknot quilt needs binding that I could use the fabric for the Slipknot quilt instead. So I began to get ready to prewash it when it occured to me that I have yet to get the materials in my possession and therefore don't have anything even to make into a quilt to attach the binding to. lol.

grammyp 11-28-2010 05:47 AM

I use a lot of Kona black for all kinds of purposes. I frequently just cut yards of it into strips, which are often used for binding. I also cut left over fabrics into strips and put into a big box for whatever they need to be used for. Does that count?

erstan947 11-28-2010 06:00 AM

I've been known to rob from one unfinished quilt to complete another. I do scrappy quilts so what ever works!:)

crashnquilt 11-28-2010 06:03 AM

I buy 2 yard pieces of various fabrics just for binding. We all know that sewing is our choice of therapy, and when I need a "fix" I will cut my fabric and make binding. After making the binding, I fanfold it, wrap a couple pieces of blue painters tape around it and keep in a bag by my machine. When it's time to bind a quilt, I usually have a binding I can use.

This kinda takes care of two things at once, I've got my sewing fix and binding. Win win situation.

cjk 11-28-2010 08:11 AM

I cut and make my binding when the mood strikes. I then wind them on an empty toilet paper roll. Then they are ready when I need them.

featherweight 11-28-2010 08:31 AM

I have got several different fabrics already cut into binding and rolled on cardboard. I have no idea what I will use it on or when I will use it. But, it is ready for when I do need it.

Cyn 11-28-2010 08:32 AM

Oh my! I'm not alone :)

annyroony2 11-28-2010 12:10 PM

Great idea about the toilet paper roll, had not thought about it. I have been using a piece of flat cardboard.

carhop 11-28-2010 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by cjk
I cut and make my binding when the mood strikes. I then wind them on an empty toilet paper roll. Then they are ready when I need them.

i'ed have to fight my dog for them she loves to bat them around the floor i call them her doot-t-do's

NauDeeGal 11-28-2010 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by carhop

Originally Posted by cjk

i'ed have to fight my dog for them she loves to bat them around the floor i call them her doot-t-do's

I wrap mi pre-made binding around an empty spool of thread. Plenty of them around to use. If the mood strikes I will make the binding ahead of time for a soon to be WIP. Makes me more motivated to get to it that way.