Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you finish your "DUDS"? And where do they go? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-finish-your-duds-where-do-they-go-t212136.html)

judylg 01-27-2013 06:35 PM

I have only one quilt not quite done and each time I look at it, I say what was I thinking? Have not done anything to finish, since I am able to burn my garbage, it may end up there or not. It is not a good feeling especially since I looked forward to it so much. Oh well. :( Live and learn.

DebbieJJ 01-29-2013 04:12 AM

My "ugly" ones are still warm......and here, we usually put our quilts between the top sheet and the bedspread, so a work of art is usually covered up anyway. That being said, I still like pretty quilts, and I still like knowing that I've done a good job. Please finish your quilt or donate it to someone who will finish it.

miriam 01-29-2013 04:28 AM

As Miss Piggy said, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
Not everything does turn out. I have seen some hideous quilts at the thrift store one day but they are gone the next time I go back - someone must want them.

romanojg 01-29-2013 05:07 AM

I'd finish it. I probably would do a simple quilting and don't worry about how pretty the backing is and I'd put the binding on by machine as to save more time invested. If someone in my family didn't want (which would be rare) then there are many out there that need something to keep them warm. If you don't like it give it away or donate it but don't just let it sit there or toss it. You do have all this time and money invested in it so do something with it.

paulswalia 01-29-2013 05:09 AM

I read somewhere about cutting apart an ugly quilt into blocks then putting back together using sashing - breaks up the ugly factor and gives it a whole new look. never mind - just re-read the original post and see that you don't have the blocks put together yet - so .........try sashing! Or on point!

roadrunr 01-29-2013 05:31 AM

You can also use it in the car during the winter months. One never knows when the car is going to break down or where you will be when it does. It would provide needed warmth for such occasions! Of course, you can also donate it to some shelter, but i would definetley finish it.
Could you please post a picture of your "dud"?

Wonnie 01-29-2013 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5817901)
Is it something you could use for a background and add giant applique over it?

Think this is a great idea and one that I would use.

solstice3 01-29-2013 07:31 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I did a QAYG and HATE it. A friend is visiting and saw it and started raving about how bright and cheery it is... I will bind it and she will get it! Happy ending to a not so pleasing project.

ghostrider 01-29-2013 07:50 AM

I firmly believe that not every quilt needs to be finished...and some don't even deserve to be finished. Some are just so bad that their only value is that they teach you what NOT to do in the future. Once that message is received, they've served their purpose as far as I'm concerned. They are worth no further time, resources, or concern. To not finish is not quitting, it is often times the best decision.

maviskw 01-29-2013 08:04 AM

I totally agree with finishing if you can, or giveing it to someone who wants to finish it. There are so many people who would like, no who NEED a warm quilt. Some people in other countries use them for walls in their little houses to separate the kitchen from the bedroom. Check with church groups. Many of these make quilts for sending to charity, and will take anything.

If you finish it yourself, remember the batting can be pieced, and the backing can be all leftovers, ugly fabrics, or anything you want to get rid of. To me that would be very freeing to see some of my ugly fabric LEAVE.