Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you get quilter's blocks? and how do your get yourself out of it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-get-quilters-blocks-how-do-your-get-yourself-out-t10979.html)

mpeters1200 09-07-2008 10:38 AM

Do you ever find yourself really excited to start a project and then find a lull in the middle? This has happened to me twice now. I'm working on this mystery and the theory behind it is really fun, but this particular quilt is a pain in my tail feathers. I think it's TIM? that hates flying geese?? I'm right behind him. If I ever see a flying goose in one of my patterns again it will be too soon.

I am on clue 4, and have been about 6 weeks because we moved and everything was all up in the air. It took me working a little bit at a time for 3 weeks on 1/4 of a clue what it took me 3 hours to do on the other 1/4. So, now I have the first half of the clue done and I'm on to easier parts.

What do you do to get out of your funk? I was so excited that the baby was starting school this year. I figured I would have SOOOOOO much time to quilt and craft and play and I've had all of 2 mornings of fun since school started a month ago. How do you keep in the swing of things?

Melissa

Arizona Sunrises 09-07-2008 10:48 AM

I'm like that with practically everything I do. :lol: I start strong and then procrastinate because I simply don't want to do it.

I won't let myself start anything else until I have the current project finished. I can buy the materials, but I won't start the new one. When I decide I really want to do the new one, the old gets finished. :)

Moonpi 09-07-2008 11:10 AM

Arizona Sunrises, I would never do a thing with your method. I keep lots of projects going, and devote time to each as I feel like.

live2teach 09-07-2008 11:42 AM

I've been like this since I've been pregnant. I guess with my slim to none energy, it's harder to get things accomplished. I mean I've been working completely on the nursery and getting ready for the baby but as for my sewing projects, they've taken a back seat. I hate it! Hopefully when I've finished the nursery, I'll get back in the groove of sewing.

mamatobugboo 09-07-2008 12:09 PM

i don't get blocked all that often, my problem is mentally preparing for a new project. I sometimes just can't seem to get myself motivated to pull out the new fabric, the new pattern, iron everything, and figure out how to start...but once I take that first step, I can hardly stop!!!

Boston1954 09-07-2008 02:15 PM

It happens to me on just about every quilt I make. I am always thinking about the next project I want to do. That is why I have about 12 or 13 tops done and they are not quilted. I will have to impose a deadline on myself. :D

Anne

sewnsewer2 09-07-2008 06:45 PM

I got that way on the magnolia quilt I did. I had to put it up for a week.

mary quite contrary 09-07-2008 07:02 PM

I have a problem getting started on new projects. Deciding which project to start next is hard for me.

It is hard when I get sidetracked on another project to go back to my original project and finish it.

I usually just force myself to get started and that gets me going on it again.

I have noticed several quilt shops are offering UFO sessions where they will help you think through a difficult step.

mgshaw 09-07-2008 07:18 PM

When it happens to me, I cant force myself to sew or I would be doing more ripping than sewing. I just have to do something else, like hand quilting or I might get another project cut out and ready to go. Sooner or later that "NEED" to sew strikes and I can get back to it.

Janeen 09-08-2008 04:06 AM

I have a quilt in progress in there that's been sitting around patiently waiting while I did a gazillion other quilts - I still don't want to go in and finish it..

it's stars of all sizes - I need one more square and the setting triangles but just the thought of working on it makes me cringe...

it may eventually get finished

I have a fantastic stash and now my problem is twofold:
1. I start a quilt and then can't wait till it's finished so I can go work on another one with 'that' fabric

2. I really hate cutting up some of this fantastic fabric :mrgreen: 8)

Since I've learned how to do the stippling/meandering, stitch in the ditch, on my regular machine, and now have the Bailey set up, I'm forcing myself to completely finish a quilt before I start another. In the meantime, I'm trying to get all the tops quilted that were piled up from years gone by.