Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you have to have a foot on your machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-have-have-foot-your-machine-t26772.html)

imjustme 10-09-2009 08:41 AM

I only have 1 foot- I have had my machine forever and lost the other pieces long ago. I would like to try to do some quilting with my machine but don't have the darning (?) foot I have read about- another thing is I dont see anything that lets me drop my feeder dogs down.
What can I do?
Do all the attachments fit every machine or you have to buy the feet for that specific machine- I'm lost

nena 10-09-2009 08:56 AM

Just me,
I went and bought a new darning foot and when I got home and read my machine book. It said I did not need to use a foot , Just remove the foot that was on it. The place on my machine to lower the feed dog was beside my bobbon. Hope this helps.
Nena

dizzy 10-09-2009 08:57 AM

ha girl what type of machine do you have.there are machines you can sew witout the foot an there are some you can't but you can pick one up at your sewing shop an make sure you know if it is low shank or high shank.

MadQuilter 10-09-2009 09:02 AM

If your machine does not drop the feed dogs, there may be a cover plate available to place over the teeth. It would help knowing what machine you have.

dizzy 10-09-2009 09:08 AM

all three of my machines are low shank machines.the measurement between bottom of foot to where you attach it to your machine is almost 1/2 inch.If it is more than that it is high shank

k3n 10-09-2009 09:11 AM

Hi IJM - I got a Big Foot for my machine http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=863 you have to know whether your machine is low shank or high shank. You do this by measuring the distance between the bottom of the shank (where the foot attaches) and the base plate. I'm not completely sure but I think a low shank is around a quarter inch, but don't quote me!

Here's a link to the UK site where I got mine - not much use to you I know but good information. And you see that they ask for your make and model to be sure they send you the right foot and adaptor if necessary. Maybe if you google you can find something comparable in the US, or a local sewing machine shop if you have one.

If you can't drop the feed dogs, just tape a thin piece of plastic or card over them. My old machine wouldn't do this. My newer one has a switch just to the right of the bobbin case. I'm assuming you don't have the manual anymore? I didn't have for my old one but I found it online - try googling. :D

Hope this helps! :D

EDITED to say that someone smarter than me knows that low shank is under a half inch not quarter! :oops: :lol: Thanks Dizzy! :D

stitchinMamaw 10-09-2009 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by imjustme
I only have 1 foot- I have had my machine forever and lost the other pieces long ago. I would like to try to do some quilting with my machine but don't have the darning (?) foot I have read about- another thing is I dont see anything that lets me drop my feeder dogs down.
What can I do?
Do all the attachments fit every machine or you have to buy the feet for that specific machine- I'm lost

Hi , I would like to say that when you get a foot . Try it out and make sure it works right on your machine ! I had a walking foot for my singer . Well my grandkids were here and it disappeared ! I went to a sewing shop and bought another one . It does not work on my machine !!! It hangs up on the fabric . At walmart they have a wizard set of several machine feet , but I'm not sure if they'll work or not . Good luck Annie

nativetexan 10-09-2009 09:22 AM

you can quilt with just a regular foot if you are doing simple straight stitch. darning foot is for free motion quilting, feed dogs up or down. where you have a fast pedal speed and move the quilt yourself a bit slower.
many people quilt without a quilting/walking foot.
if you can piece blocks with that foot you have, you can quilt a quilt. just not too small a stitch length when quilting the whole thing together. that helps prevent puckers. good luck.

imjustme 10-09-2009 10:05 AM

thanks all- I will look and see what my machine is when I get home. I know it's a Singer, but the model I have no idea. My Aunt bought it for me years ago as a Christmas gift.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 10-09-2009 11:20 AM

I can't drop my feed dogs on the first machine I ever owned (still have), but it came with a plastic plate to put over them. I've heard of others taping a thin piece of plastic or heavy paper over the feed dogs, so that may work for you if you don't have the plate to cover them up.
Try your machine and see if it works without the foot. It probably will.