Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you keep the pattern after you finish your quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-keep-pattern-after-you-finish-your-quilt-t221481.html)

Boston1954 05-16-2013 03:41 AM

There are very few patterns that I would want to make more than one or two times. You are pretty much going to find anything you want in the computer. I would see if some church quilting group might use them. Get them out of the way and make room for something else.

catmcclure 05-16-2013 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pat625 (Post 6063960)
I I really like it I would probably scan and save on the computer or flash drive...I have tons of old magazines the I will take to the local guild after I scan...

Actually, that's considered a copyright infringement. You buy a copy (magazine or pattern), and you can use it, sell it, or give it away. Keeping a copy and giving/selling the original is actually not kosher.

the old one 05-16-2013 05:31 AM

There have been times when I had a ceremonial fire in the outdoor grill, to celebrate finishing a pattern that seemed way too hard for the end result.

Ccorazone 05-16-2013 05:37 AM

I have binders full of quilt patterns I know I'll never be able to around to doing. But they are sure fun to look at and put on my "some day" list.

tessagin 05-16-2013 06:07 AM

I would scan them and file them into the computer with notes. You can put them into an album such as. Log Cabin patterns, baby quilts, wedding rings, Susie's Christmas, Benjamin's Bar Mitzvah, Mug rugs, table runners, Jamie's christening. If anyone asks for a pattern, you might have and as AUQuilter suggested can pay it forward. I would include ALL notes, that way is something doesn't turn out right no one can say you didn't put a step in. Like some people when they pass down a recipe but leave an ingredient or step out so it "Just doesn't taste like you made it". That is just mean. Every pattern I have is in my computer and on a jump drive (also know by other names) I carry with me. I have the paper pattern to work off and follow also.

Caswews 05-16-2013 06:37 AM

My problem is I would get rid of them and then I need that pattern!LOL But then with the invention of the internet one can find the pattern (not the shortcuts or tips that you wrote on the pattern tho !LOL) and have it handy, the library,family, friends who have patterns or neighbors as well. I have made several large binder notebooks with the plastic sleeve in each binder with patterns that I have used and how useful- This is a decision that one has to make themselves. I also have a large to do folder that I have to decide if I am really gonna make that (I put them in and go back through it in a week to decide yes or no).
IF I decide I don't plan on making that pattern I have a recipe box with cards in them that I put where I got the pattern (what site and their Http address) then the tips are also written on it. On the back of the card I list the material used and if I have scraps leftover those are stapled to it as well so I know for the next time, with a plastic sleeve that I have made to fit the box so the material doesn't fall off .. DH says this system cuts down on my paper clutter in the sewing room. So far this has worked for me...

crafty pat 05-16-2013 07:38 AM

I keep mine as I may want to make more than one. I have never made two of the same but now I have the fabric I want to make lap quilts from two I made years ago, however I can't find where I put them.

PS Stitcher 05-16-2013 09:49 AM

If I am going to make them or think I will again, I keep mine. Then I take the rest to my guild.

patdesign 05-16-2013 10:02 AM

Most of my quilt patterns were giveaways except for a few, but most of the time I see something that triggers an idea and I re design or use it as inspiration so yes I save them. When I first got EQ I didn't like it much but use it more now for making my own interpretations of somethng I see or like so they are saved in that program.

My time 05-16-2013 07:27 PM

I pass them on. This is what quitting friends do. Onward and upward, is what I say. I hate clutter..plus I just don't have the room. Other than a few traditional quilts I rarely make the same quilt twice.