Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you press your batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-press-your-batting-t78410.html)

fireworkslover 11-24-2010 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by wesing
OK, maybe I'm asking the obvious, but I've never seen this addressed in a book, and our teacher never told us to do it in our class.

The first few quilts we stretched for quilting didn't stretch well. There was extra fabric in spots; not horrible, but enough for us to notice, even though we stretched them on the DR table and used binder clips to keep them taut. On the last three that we have done, I looked at the batting as we took it out of the package and it had all kinds of wrinkles and waves. So, I took them to the ironing board and pressed them with steam. Those quilts stretched beautifully and had no hint of bunching after they were quilted. This is definitely going to become an item on our checklist going forward.

Thanks,

Darren

The last quilt I made was the largest, so used a packaged queen size bat. I too unrolled it and noticed tons of wrinkles and deep folds. I struggled with pressing this huge unweildly mass. Some areas were noticably thinner than others and there was actually a hole in one place. I had to make a patch for that and sew it in place by hand. From now on, I'm using it off the roll. Sewing sections together will not be nearly as awful as dealing with a wrinkled packaged bat.

katier825 11-24-2010 06:14 AM

I usually start with spritzing it with water and putting in the dryer for a few minutes on medium. If there's a stubborn wrinkle I will sometimes touch that with the iron. But usually it's fine from the dryer.

JulieM 11-24-2010 06:26 AM

I have a roll of Warm and Natural right now and always press the fold to flatten it. I have used the bagged binding and pressed it also.

Joann's usually has a sale on batting around this time of year, I think I paid $6.99 a yard for 90"+ wide batthing.

JulieM

Dingle 11-24-2010 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
I usually start with spritzing it with water and putting in the dryer for a few minutes on medium. If there's a stubborn wrinkle I will sometimes touch that with the iron. But usually it's fine from the dryer.

This is what I was wondering. Couldn't you just put it in the dryer for a little bit to get the wrinkles out? Would it work on poly batting too?

Navy Wife 11-24-2010 06:50 AM

Yes, the dryer works great for poly batts. Use low heat for about 15 minutes, and spread it out when you take it out. Smooth the wrinkles left, and let it cool. I've had to heat some twice.

Melinda in Tulsa 11-24-2010 09:10 AM

I just toss mine in the dryer for a few minutes to relax the wrinkles.

amma 11-24-2010 10:43 AM

I think that this is a step that is as important as keeping the top and back wrinkle free :D:D:D

I either iron or toss the batting in the dryer and then finish by smoothing it out with my hands.

maryel 11-24-2010 12:05 PM

Never thought of ironing my batting till now! I use the warm and natural and have only smoothed it down with my hands. Hope to remember this tidbit next time I sandwich a quilt!

bigsister63 11-24-2010 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Navy Wife
Yes, the dryer works great for poly batts. Use low heat for about 15 minutes, and spread it out when you take it out. Smooth the wrinkles left, and let it cool. I've had to heat some twice.

by putting it in the dryer does it shrink the batting if it has cotton in it?

grammy17 11-24-2010 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I press Warm & Natural with steam - not just to get wrinkles out, but for shrinkage before making the quilt sandwich.

I put my Wm & Nat in the dryer on low --dry not wet -- for about 10 minutes. Came out smooth, no wrinkles and did shrink a little.