Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   do you remember when.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-remember-when-t128489.html)

Prissnboot 06-06-2011 10:37 AM

Does anyone remember the days before we were bitten by the quilt bug and we couldn't figure out for the LIFE of us WHY anyone would spend so much time in front of a sewing machine, or go to a quilt show? I live in Houston TX (I know, lucky me) and I used to work next to a quilter, and she actually used a VACATION day to go to a quilt show! Why, oh why would one actually do this? (This past November I found out...and used one of my own vacation days to do it!)

Then she was talking about a quilt retreat. What in the world is this? Oh, it's when you go somewhere and meet people you don't know and you make quilts all weekend uninterrupted if you want to. Really? There are people who DO this? WHY?

Because our husbands are a big quilting drag and they always interrupt us by wanting us to feed them, go somewhere with them, etc. That's why.

But we love them anyway, and if they're really good we'll make them a quilt of their very own to hug and love and call them George!

So does anyone else remember these days?

GrannieAnnie 06-06-2011 10:43 AM

Since I grew up in front of a sewing machine, and grew up with a quilting aunt------NO I DON'T REMEMBER!

MellieKQuilter 06-06-2011 10:47 AM

I remember! They werent so long ago! I always wondered how anyone could ever collect so much fabric :) Why would anyone do such a thing?? :)

And... I must brag, my BF is the greatest man. He is more than happy for me to sew sew away... :)

Prissnboot 06-06-2011 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
I remember! They werent so long ago! I always wondered how anyone could ever collect so much fabric :) Why would anyone do such a thing?? :)

And... I must brag, my BF is the greatest man. He is more than happy for me to sew sew away... :)

That's just cuz when we sew, we don't interrupt their football games! LOL

pnptrapp 06-06-2011 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot

My husband loves it when football season is on, and he's home for the games. It's our together apart time! He's watching upstairs and i'm in my sewing room downstairs. We meet during quilting/ commercial breaks for quick kisses and a fill up on the food!

mrspete 06-06-2011 10:54 AM

uh huh!

KatFish 06-06-2011 11:14 AM

Yes, I remember. I had more money in my pocket before I was bit by the quilting bug. My other hobby of wood burning cost a lot less money. DH says I spend even more money since I found the Quilting Board. According to him, you guys are such a bad influnce with all of your pictures, fabric links and vintage machines. Thanks! :D

DogHouseMom 06-06-2011 11:40 AM

[quote=Prissnboot]But we love them anyway, and if they're really good we'll make them a quilt of their very own to hug and love and call them George![quote]

Love the quote especially since it's one of my "George's" favorites.

Can't relate so much to the rest of it though because I never knew another quilter, so I never knew anything about stashes, shows, retreats, etc. And I am guilty of taking a vacation day this year to go to Paducah, and I'm also guilty of looking for quilt shops when I travel.

MellieKQuilter 06-06-2011 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot

Or their hunting outings. :)

Dolphyngyrl 06-06-2011 12:14 PM

No, i had an interest in quilting when I was little, but didn't get into it heavily until college