Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you tear your fabric to put in on grain? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-tear-your-fabric-put-grain-t135301.html)

Butterfli19 07-05-2011 03:16 AM

I was reading in a quilting book that to prep your fabric, prewashed or not, you tear it to put it on grain, line up selvedges and starch it to get it back to shape, as when it is rolled onto the bolt it becomes a bit off.

Do you do this? If not, how do you prepare your fabric?

RUSewing 07-05-2011 03:20 AM

Yes, but I have to buy extra as so many fabrics are way off grain!

SmickChick 07-05-2011 03:36 AM

I'm a RIPPER! Need a small piece? RIIIIIPPPPPP. It's easier to keep the larger pieces of my stash in order, if they are rectangle, rather than have some 'lil corner carved out.

Butterfli19 07-05-2011 03:40 AM

I guess I don't understand how it doesn't make it more off grain. I mean, ripping something should distort the rest of the fabric, so doesn't ripping make it worse?

quilt1950 07-05-2011 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
I guess I don't understand how it doesn't make it more off grain. I mean, ripping something should distort the rest of the fabric, so doesn't ripping make it worse?

Good question. I've heard this also, and also don't understand how it works.

Agatha 07-05-2011 04:03 AM

If I rip, I make a small cut first and then let the grain take the rest as it's ripped. But mostly I don't rip. Mostly I don't straighten my grain. I never saw the need to. Can you all tell me why you straighten your grain? Maybe I should start.

mpspeedy 07-05-2011 04:07 AM

I prewash and rip anything that needs to be straight. Even with my longest ruler I can't cut say border pieces straight. If I tear them I know they are on grain. Years ago I worked for a Bernina dealer who made her bread and butter doing custom dressmaking and alterations. I learned a lot from her about fabric. Straight of grain is very important in garment construction. According to her fabric is often loaded on the bolt damp which distorts it even more. In her shop we made everything from wedding dresses to shower curtains. If it had to hang straight we either tore it or pulled a thread to get the exact straight of grain. It really does make a difference in the finished product.

RenaB 07-05-2011 04:08 AM

I am totally lost ::insert cricket sound:: :oops:

Tartan 07-05-2011 04:12 AM

I don't rip my fabric. I don't like how it distorts and separates the weave. If you are working with a plaid or check that had to be perfect I might. I sometimes will rip a huge yardage in half to make it more managable (too big a piece to rotary cut on mat).

marcialb 07-05-2011 04:16 AM

I was reading in a quilting book that to prep your fabric, prewashed or not, you tear it to put it on grain, line up selvedges and starch it to get it back to shape, as when it is rolled onto the bolt it becomes a bit off.

Do you do this? If not, how do you prepare your fabric?

I iron the fabric and then line up the salvage edges-- if they are way off, I'll tear it to get it straight or just cut it after I get the "bubble" out of the fabric.