Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   DO YOU USE GROOVY BOARDS & EZ BOARDS? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-use-groovy-boards-ez-boards-t163519.html)

quilter girl 10-26-2011 04:34 PM

I'VE SEEN DIFFERENT LONGARM QUILTING SITES ADVERTIZE THEIR GROOVY BOARDS OR SOME PLACES CALL THEM EZ BOARDS. ARE THEY EASY TO USE AND DO YOU LIKE THEM?THERE ARE A LOT OF DIFFERENT PATTERNS AVAILABE ALSO - ARE SOME EASIER TO USE THEN OTHERS?

ANY INPUT ON THIS SUBJECT WOULD BE GREAT. THEY ARE A LITTLE PRICEY AND I AM JUST WONDERING IT THAT WOULD BE MONEY WELL SPENT.

THANKS

QuiltnNan 10-26-2011 04:37 PM

and those that have them, do you have to have a special guide to use them?

sewwhat85 10-26-2011 04:44 PM

i hope there is some response to this question

fabric_fancy 10-26-2011 04:49 PM

i like to use them for circles or bubbles because it comes out perfect.

its very easy to master the skill of using groovy boards.

you do need a stylist that will sit inside the groove.

once you have a stylist it will work with any board.

i have a Grace Stylist and have used it with pattern perfect, groovy boards, ez boards, and independently made boards without any problems.

quilter girl 10-26-2011 04:55 PM

HOW DID YOU MAKE YOUR OWN BOARDS?

WHEN USING THEM - DO YOU NEED TO SET YOUR STITCH LENGTH TO A CERTAIN LENGTH? ARE THEY TIME CONSUMING?

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i like to use them for circles or bubbles because it comes out perfect.

its very easy to master the skill of using groovy boards.

you do need a stylist that will sit inside the groove.

once you have a stylist it will work with any board.

i have a Grace Stylist and have used it with pattern perfect, groovy boards, ez boards, and independently made boards without any problems.

fabric_fancy 10-26-2011 05:05 PM

my DH has made them for me. he got some thin acrylic from china town in nyc and then he cut thru it completely to make the design and then he adhered those pieces to thin acrylic.

it was an easy way of making sure the depth was consistent across the entire pattern.

i always use a small stitch length regardless of doing boards, pantos, free hand, etc.

boards and pantos are a very quick way to get a quilt done - its the ruler work and free hand designs that take up the time.

sewwhat85 10-26-2011 05:11 PM

i am so glad we got some advice from a user YEA

brushandthimble 10-26-2011 05:27 PM

I have a few and use them sometimes. I was haveing problems using it with my stylis so I use them just like a pantograph using my laser light. My favorite is the ramdon stars., and surfs up. I like to use 3 of the same. Due to the cost I now buy pantographs instead.
I have a 6" feather for sale, either 2 or 3 sections.

ecmoore 10-26-2011 05:28 PM

You can make your own. You'd need a router and a steady hand to do so, however, the ones from Circle Lord and Urban Elementz are especially nice. Keep in mind that buying them retail is quite costly - the Circle Lord boards run a little over $500 for a "king size" length. You do need a stylus - Circle Lord sells them as well, and gives really thorough instructions on how to attach them to the longarm. Keep in mind you've got to be skilled at lining them up, as many of them have trickier interlocks. There may also be more backtracking within them, as it's easier to land the backtracking *perfectly.*

0tis 10-26-2011 06:25 PM

I use them and have several boards - my favorites are the circles and the baptist fan. It really makes it fast and easy to quilt an entire quilt - usually takes me a couple of hours start to finish. So if you need a quilt done quick they work excellent. Also good if you do donation quilts - no muss, no fuss. I happily endorse their use.