Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone have a Pfaff Creative Vision? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-have-pfaff-creative-vision-t85371.html)

Maia B 12-26-2010 06:24 PM

I also posted this question on pattern review, so forgive if you see it there too. A local non-Pfaff dealer has a used Pfaff Creative Vision for about half the usual sale price. It's a trade-in. They offer only a bare-bones orientation to the machine and a 30 day return window. For the price, I could afford to pay for private lessons from a CV owner or dealer. Assuming that it were to perform well in a test drive on my samples, should I consider this? Would Pfaff dealers provide decent service for a reasonable price? I'm not (yet) into embroidery, so if it sews well, including the deco and maxi stitches and quilts well, that would be worth it to me. Since a new CV costs double and there is always the possiblity of a lemon or disappearing dealer support, it seems like no more of a gamble. What should I watch out for? What should I ask the dealer? I'll be very grateful for advice from CV or Pfaff owners or anyone with experience with this sort of thing.

scowlkat 12-26-2010 06:41 PM

Hmmm, when I was doing my research, seems like there were a lot of complaints. Did you read the reviews on pattern review? I found a couple there. Google sewing machine reviews to see if you find anything else. Good luck. I guess I am a skeptic but half price on such a machine would be almost too good to be true. Could he give any indications as to service record, who had it before, etc.?

Maia B 12-26-2010 06:50 PM

I did read all the CV reviews and many other Pfaff reviews on PR. They range from head over heels to bitter disappointment with lemons. I'll see what I can find out about the machine's history. But I doubt they'd reveal anything too negative. I wonder if there are particular issues I could test it on. What sort of warranty or guarantee is typical with a high-end used machine from a dealer?

ranbro 12-26-2010 07:07 PM

I bought the CV when the newest model came out. I got it for a bit over half the original price. It included a lot of extras but not the dream hoop. The place I purchased it from provides monthly lessons. I have had NO problems at all with the CV. I also have a pfaff 2170. Both are great machines.

Dina 12-26-2010 07:24 PM

I have a Pfaff expression 2.0, which, of course, is a different model, but I love mine. I bought a machine that wasn't really used, but it had been a demonstrator in the shop. I actually thought that was okay, that if it had been working for others interested in buying, it would work for me.

I have had it a year. I have had no problems, and I sew quite a bit.

If I were you, I would spend a lot of time with the machine. See if it will do everything you want it to, and look at the owner's manual very carefully. My manual is very well written, and I use it any time I can't remember how to do something....even threading the machine or doing a button hole.

My Pfaff dealer works on machines that he hasn't sold. The only real advantage that I have from buying my machine there is that if I need to take it in, he has told me he would do mine before he would work on one he had not sold....something about warranty, I think. I don't know what his prices are for service, so I can't help there. Well, I did get 12 free lessons, but I only went to 4. I just felt like I already knew enough after those four lessons.

Do you have a Pfaff dealer in the area? That might make a difference too.

I can tell you that I have a friend who traded in her Pfaff for a fancier model after only having it two months. Anyone getting her machine would certainly be getting their money's worth. I think she went from an expression . 2.0 to an expression 4.0.

akrogirl 12-26-2010 08:07 PM

I have a CV that I picked up for a great price on ebay, complete with extra hoops etc. I love my Creative Vision and find myself using this as my go to machine.

I find that it is a little less intuitive to use than my Diamond, but have still been able to figure everything out on my own, with the aid of the manual. I also used it to embroider a baby quilt and had no problems. As always with my Pfaffs, I love the IDT.

I don't think you can go too far wrong for the price you are getting :-)

Maia B 12-27-2010 10:26 AM

Thx akrogirl, that's reassuring. Any features on the CV that I should be sure to check out in the test drive to be sure it works properly?