Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone know of: (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-know-t24809.html)

Jim's Gem 08-29-2009 07:42 PM

A pattern for a pretty sling. I have shoulder issues and it does not like to just hang when I am walking or standing. I do ok at work or on the computer or sewing machine( for the most part) cause I rest my forearms on the desks.
However It hurts like crazy to just say... walk around the fair or stand around and talk etc. I know I can buy (and I have an ugly one) a sling, but I want something pretty that won't look so.....boring, so..... medical.
I am going to have surgery, probably around the beginning of November, so there will be a couple of month of no sewing :cry: :cry: :cry: It will even be hard to be on here, since it is my right arm and I am so very right handed.
Anyway, I would like to make myself a pretty one, maybe quilted patchwork, no tie at the neck but maybe velcro or D rings or something. It needs to be easy to slip my arm out of cause until I have surgery I can still use the arm, just need to support it. Any ideas anyone? Any really creative people who can design a general good shape. I am a big girl, so that has to be figured in some.
Thanks everyone!!!

sharon b 08-29-2009 08:01 PM

I wish I could find my sons, but let me see if I can explain it . I would take a fabric that you like . Measure your arm from the elbow to the wrist to get the length and add about an inch for the seams. Make it about 5 inches high. Fold the fabric in half and sew it closed at the elbow end. Sew up the other end seam ( just fold over like regular sewing ) for the wrist area, but don't sew closed like the elbow area. Then for the shoulder strap area you could use the same fabric and make a strap, measure how long you need it to be comfortable for you,then take off about 3-4 inches, or you could buy the belting ( I think that is what it is called , I use it for straps on totes ) Also a D ring and some velco that folds up and attaches to itself. Attach the fabric for the shoulder strap to the sling with both ends. One on the front of the sling , the other on the back part of the sling. try it on , it should be shorter than you want. At this point figure out where you want to put the adjustable vleco. Cut the strap. Attach the D ring to the bottom part of the strap that you just cut. On the top part of the strap you just cut attach the velco that attaches to itself.
Have I totally confused you, :? It really is simpler than I probably made it sound

amma 08-29-2009 08:50 PM

I had rotator cuff surgery 2 years ago and after shoulder surgery you will probably need to use the one that they will provide....If it does not support your shoulder just right you will be in horrific pain....
For one to use now, go to a pharmacy and ask to look at one that would be used after your surgery...I understand what Sharon is describing, but it may help to see one up close for your self. They are very simple in their design all you would need to do is make it rectangular patchwork, and I would use the birthing method to hide all of the raw edges and then hand slip stitch the end by your elbow. :wink: Then it is just the matter of attatching the webbing, D rings and the velcro to make it adjustable.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 08-29-2009 08:54 PM

Maybe you could put a pretty one you make over the official ugly one for the support you need without looking so medical.

Jim's Gem 08-29-2009 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I had rotator cuff surgery 2 years ago and after shoulder surgery you will probably need to use the one that they will provide....If it does not support your shoulder just right you will be in horrific pain....
For one to use now, go to a pharmacy and ask to look at one that would be used after your surgery...I understand what Sharon is describing, but it may help to see one up close for your self. They are very simple in their design all you would need to do is make it rectangular patchwork, and I would use the birthing method to hide all of the raw edges and then hand slip stitch the end by your elbow. :wink: Then it is just the matter of attatching the webbing, D rings and the velcro to make it adjustable.

I had surgery on the other shoulder 18 mos ago, got to wear my ugly sling for 8 weeks. What I am looking for is something to wear before the surgery, cause it does not like to hang with the weight of my arm. I have a Disneyland trip coming up as well as a vacation in Hawaii and I know it will be hurting me. Just taking a walk around the block makes it hurt unless I support it with my other arm. So this is just to give it support for before the surgery

My ugly one has the pillow and everything, I will get to wear it again for this other shoulder (though since insurance pays for it, I will get a new one and not use this old one)

Jim's Gem 08-29-2009 09:38 PM

Thanks for your help. Tomorrow I will dig for the old one, I know it's around here somewhere and see what I can do. I just need something in the meantime and I want it to look pretty.

dizzy 08-29-2009 09:45 PM

My hubby had surgy on his shoulder an they had to put elastic band for his waste because he couldnt put the weight on around his neck he's got trouble with back an shoulderan the strip aruod waste had a piece of material that had velcro on it to support his rist an took weight off his shoulder.good luck

Jim's Gem 08-29-2009 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by dizzy
My hubby had surgy on his shoulder an they had to put elastic band for his waste because he couldnt put the weight on around his neck he's got trouble with back an shoulderan the strip aruod waste had a piece of material that had velcro on it to support his rist an took weight off his shoulder.good luck

My one from surgery last year has a waist band to it too, as well as over the neck. I imagine is was so I couldn't let it swing away from my body. The dr. will probably give me one like that again.

amma 08-30-2009 10:26 AM

If you already have a sling...I would lay it out....folding it in half long ways and tuck in the elbow end of it to make a rectangle....measure it top to bottom and side to side...then double those measurements and add one inch in height and for 5 inches to the width for just in case :wink:

Then I would find a pretty piece of fabric that would match several outfits... like a multi colored batik....pin the fabric wrong side up to the outside of your sling leaving the extra hang over the tops and sides...mark and pin a dart in the elbow part and then mark where you need to trim around the top and wrist opening.... remove the fabric and sew the dart and trim along your markings...then re pin it in place right side out and bind around all of the edges.

You may have to remove some of the webbing and re sew it on again.

amazon 08-30-2009 12:14 PM

You might try a baby sling, they are for nursing and carry your baby, but they are fully adjustable and come in some beautiful patterns and colors, and you can get some good online deals,or in the store you could try it on or as we quilting and sewing folks do look at it and say Oh I can make one of those.