Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone know what this block is called? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-know-what-block-called-t10778.html)

PrettyKitty 09-01-2008 04:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hahahaha...I know I am a quilter now that I am planning my next project while my current WIP is only half done.

I want to make some quilted cushion covers (4 in total, each a different block but of similar design, I like the star blocks), I found this picture on a website but it made no reference to the name of the block?

Also, if I see a block I like, but it has no instructions on the size I want it to be (16 inch), how do I figure out what sizes to cut the pieces? For example, I love the Ohio Star block, but can only seem to find the instructions to make it as a 12" block.

Advice would be appreciated as always!

Ta

Mary

patricej 09-01-2008 05:11 AM

that one goes by many names. one is Pinwheel Star.

you can disect blocks using graph paper, then scale up or down.

if you have a draw-type program on your computer you can also do it that way.

jstitch 09-01-2008 05:21 AM

This can be a lengthly discussion. All blocks are not easily created in all sizes. So, using this particular block as an example..

It is a 16 patch block, 4 rows of 4 blocks.

If you want to make this as a 16 inch block, divide 16 inches by 4 (number of patches in a row) = 4 inches finished.

For the square pieces, add 1/2 inch for seam allowance. So, cut them 4 1/2 inches square.

For the half square triangles, add 7/8 inch to the finished size, or 4 7/8, then cut in half from corner to corner (on the diagonal)

Hope this helps

bearisgray 09-01-2008 05:26 AM

You can always add borders until it is large enough.

PatriceJ is correct is that most blocks can be drawn on a grid.

For example, the star block you have pictured is on a 4x4 grid.

If you wanted to make it a finished 16x 16 block, the center square would be 8 inches (cut 8 1/2), the corner squares would be 4 inches (cut 4 1/2), etc.

If you wanted to make it a finished 8x8 block, the center square would be 4 inches (cut 4 1/2), the corner squares would be 2 inches (cut 2 1/2 etc.

You could do it almost any size you want, but I find it easier if I keep the bigger pieces in even number multiples - or at least no smaller than 1/2 inch increments.

That particular block would be easy to change by two inch increments. Even number multiples.

A twelve inch block works well for many designs because 12 divides evenly by 2, 3, 4, and 6.

bebe 09-01-2008 06:38 AM

Try this website maybe you can find the block if not there are all kinds of blocks to give you inspiration
http://www.quilterscache.com/

Happy Quilting!!!!!

PrettyKitty 09-01-2008 06:53 AM

OK, now it makes sense. Good tips all, thanks. I just get a mental block whenever it comes to anything to do with numbers, measurements, triangles, math! Guess I need to get better now for this hobby!

Izy 09-01-2008 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by PrettyKitty
OK, now it makes sense. Good tips all, thanks. I just get a mental block whenever it comes to anything to do with numbers, measurements, triangles, math! Guess I need to get better now for this hobby!

Oh a girl after my own heart...I am hopeless with figures, fractions or basically anything mathematical...YET BECAUSE I have to work things out in quilting - I have learnt not to be afraid, but sit down with pencil and paper and work it out...with a calculater of course :lol:

collettakay 09-01-2008 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Izy
I have learnt not to be afraid, but sit down with pencil and paper and work it out...with a calculater of course :lol:

Of course with a calculator, silly.

bearisgray 09-01-2008 07:49 PM

graph paper also is a handy tool.

some quilt shops sell a graph paper that is (I think) 12 1/2 x 12 1/2

mic-pa 09-02-2008 02:39 AM

I just purchased "Block Tool" by CT Publishing at my local quilt shop. It is like a deck of cards and gives the instructions for 160 plus blocks in a variety of sizes. No brainer on my part. Its great. Each block pictures is shown in 5 different sizes.