Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone organize by fabric lines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-organize-fabric-lines-t181447.html)

jcrow 03-02-2012 06:56 PM

Does anyone organize by fabric lines?

Does anyone organize their fabric by fabric lines rather than by color? It seems that every thread I read about organizing, everyone does it by color. I do it by fabric lines. I do have some shelves that are by color and some drawers, too. But mainly I buy a collection and it usually includes a layer cake and jelly roll or charm pack and then some yards of the different fabric from the line. I usually make my quilts out of one line. I'm not too good at matching colors...it seems all the creams match but then if I have someone look at them, they pull out the ones that don't go together, so I started buying collections a long time ago so I wouldn't have this problem.

auntpiggylpn 03-02-2012 07:07 PM

I usually organize by color. If I happen to get several pieces of the same line, including jellyrolls and charms, then I have a shelf that collections go on. Usually whenever I buy more than a couple of pieces of a line, I already have a particular project in mind and then everything will go into a bag or tote with the pattern so I don't accidentally use it for something else.

Peckish 03-02-2012 08:02 PM

Sounds like a good system that works well for you! I'll have to tell a friend of mine who can't see colors. She always needs help when she selects fabrics.

Vanuatu Jill 03-02-2012 08:08 PM

I organize by color, too, but if I have several from a line, I group them together, as well. I have all Xmas fabs together. I have most of my fabrics in those hanging closet shoe and sweater organizers, so larger cuts go in the sweater sections, and fq's and smaller cuts are in the shoe sections, but by color. I have been putting cuts of over 2 yards on empty bolts as I get them, on the top shelf of the closet standing up on end, and newer fabrics I am working with on bolts on a shelf in my sewing area. I have been buying multiple fabrics from the same lines for making purses lately, so I have them on the bolts grouped together.

Tartan 03-02-2012 08:12 PM

I organize mainly by colour but I do keep collections together. I also keep all my Christmas fabrics together. Go with what works for you.

Julie in WA 03-02-2012 10:01 PM

The blogger at Sister's Choice is just now unpacking boxes and organizing fabrics in her NEW sewing area! She is organizing by designers and fabric lines! You can check it out here!

http://sisterschoice.typepad.com/sis...ed-hazmat.html

audsgirl 03-02-2012 10:21 PM

I organize by color. I never buy a whole line of fabric. However, I will keep together fat quarters of a line, and I like to keep some designers fabrics together, such as Kaffe Fassett, Denyse Schmidt, and American Jane. There's nothing wrong with your system. It's your fabric and your quilts. Do what works for you and makes you enjoy your time quilting.

Moonglow 03-02-2012 10:25 PM

Most of my fabrics are organized by colour. Exceptions are - batiks, orientals, Christmas and novelty(children's prints etc.). There's no right way - whatever works for you.

pocoellie 03-03-2012 06:30 AM

If organizing by collections work for you, then go for it. There's no law that states you have to organize a certain way, whichever way suits you. Personally I organize by background color, with the exception of Christmas and flannels, they're each in their separate drawers.

LynnVT 03-03-2012 06:34 AM

It does sound sensible if you have a bunch from a collection. I have one box with "Quilter's Gift" fabrics I acquired a while back, try to separate holiday fabs, and usually keep batiks separate from other types. Don't usually mix them. I have more bits that are less than a yard than yardage, so color usually works best for me. Whatever floats your boat!