Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone recognize this plug?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-recognize-plug-t173870.html)

JUNEC 12-31-2011 09:59 AM

Does anyone recognize this plug??

5 Attachment(s)
I purchased this lamp several years ago, & was going to plug it in - until I was this plug

Does anyone know what kind of plug it is? Can it be used with an adapter??

I am not sure how to even remove the glass ball.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks

auntpiggylpn 12-31-2011 10:05 AM

I would take it to either an antique store or a lighting store and see what they know. I had a friend that bought a lamp at a barn sale for $4 and it needed a shade. She took it to a professional lamp shade store (yes, they have them!) and she found out it was an antique lamp worth over $400! I don't think she would have gotten this information if she didn't go to the specialty store.

Love the lamp by the way, I am so into vintage and kitschy!!!

Peckish 12-31-2011 10:07 AM

That plug is European. You can take it to a lamp store and have it re-wired for American electricity.

As for the glass ball, my first thought is there should be some small screws in the metal plate that unscrew and release the ball, but I don't see any in your picture. Maybe the ball simply unscrews? Or maybe there is a spring inside holding the ball. The light in my laundry room looks similar, it has a spring clamp, and you simply pull the globe out of the fixture to change the bulb.

Drew 12-31-2011 10:17 AM

I agree - looks European to me.

kayluvs2quilt 12-31-2011 12:01 PM

That is definitely a plug from a European country. I lived in Spain for three years and then the London area for four years and the lamps in the houses I rented had the same type of plug. I had to use adapters for all of my American plugs.

Proud to have served 20 years in the Navy!

leakus 12-31-2011 12:08 PM

The plug is for 220 volts here in the US we use 110 volts. there are adapters to use but Usually the device won't work here.

deemail 12-31-2011 12:38 PM

they're all right, it's DC and there are converters... they are better than they used to be...should be fine...try a travel store if you can't find one at home depot...

JUNEC 12-31-2011 12:39 PM

Thank you for the information - will definitely take it to a speciality shop - there are no screws to release the glass ball - I'm afraid to try pulling it off - ball looks delicate - would hate to break it.
Thanks again for your help

kathdavis 12-31-2011 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by kayluvs2quilt (Post 4827898)
That is definitely a plug from a European country. I lived in Spain for three years and then the London area for four years and the lamps in the houses I rented had the same type of plug. I had to use adapters for all of my American plugs.

Proud to have served 20 years in the Navy!

Thank you for your 20 years of service.

hperttula123 12-31-2011 01:21 PM

looks similar to one my sister bought in Germany. She got an adapter for it on the base there so it could be used in the US. Hope you can get it switched over. It's a beautiful lamp.