Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does Anyone Use An Ironrite Mangle Anymore? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-use-ironrite-mangle-anymore-t130180.html)

ThayerRags 06-13-2011 09:23 AM

I picked up an old Model 85 Ironrite Mangle at an auction the other day. An old antique store was being liquidated, so I bought it just for the heck of it. I’ve got it at the shop, but I haven’t gotten to fiddle with it to see if it will still work. I don’t really have an application for it, but wondered if it would be handy for pressing yardage fabric?

CD in Oklahoma

erstan947 06-13-2011 09:25 AM

It should work good for yardage. My mother had one and ironed the sheets, t-shirts, etc.

coloradosky 06-13-2011 10:22 AM

Can you post a picture. I've never heard of one. Thanks.

Carol's Quilts 06-13-2011 11:03 AM

Yes, it will be wonderful for yardage. In fact, there wasn't anything that needed to be ironed (that meant just about everything in the 60's and 70's) that I didn't iron on my Ironrite.

It will take some practice to get good at it. It is operated with a knee lever. I hope it came with a user's manual. You'll need some instructions.

A bit of advice - before you try to use it, make sure it has a good supply of oil. It needs it just like your car engine does; you pour it right in. It uses a very fine grade of oil. Only problem - I don't know where you can buy it nowadays. Maybe if you google it you come up with something. Good luck!

0tis 06-13-2011 08:15 PM

I am curious what it is. I guess I will google it...

ThayerRags 06-14-2011 03:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I took photos and test operated my Ironrite. It works! The roller motor runs and the heating element works, but the knee levers to stop and raise the roller don’t respond correctly. I’m hoping they just need adjustment. I couldn’t run it for long because it needs oil in the gearbox. From what I understand, the Ironrite Oil was a 50 weight non-detergent oil. Some sites that I’ve found say that SAE 40 oil can be used, so I’ll look around and see what I can find locally. I doubt that I’ll be able to find actual “Ironrite Oil” anymore.

The outside of the metal cabinet has rusty scuffed areas and will need to be repainted, but otherwise, it’s not been banged around too much. This model was made in the late 40s and early 50s, and with a serial number of AB315547. I’d guess this one is an early 50s model.

CD in Oklahoma

Ironrite Model 85 Closed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211275[/ATTACH]

Ironrite Model 85 Open
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211276[/ATTACH]

Carol's Quilts 06-14-2011 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
I took photos and test operated my Ironrite. It works! The roller motor runs and the heating element works, but the knee levers to stop and raise the roller don’t respond correctly. I’m hoping they just need adjustment. I couldn’t run it for long because it needs oil in the gearbox. From what I understand, the Ironrite Oil was a 50 weight non-detergent oil. Some sites that I’ve found say that SAE 40 oil can be used, so I’ll look around and see what I can find locally. I doubt that I’ll be able to find actual “Ironrite Oil” anymore.

The outside of the metal cabinet has rusty scuffed areas and will need to be repainted, but otherwise, it’s not been banged around too much. This model was made in the late 40s and early 50s, and with a serial number of AB315547. I’d guess this one is an early 50s model.

CD in Oklahoma

I googled "User's Manual for Ironrite Mangle" and on Ebay found a Model 85 Instruction Manual for $11.79 (Buy It Now),
also a roller cover for $36.99 (looks like you could use a new one), and there's also a service manual available for a few dollars.

What is the lever doing? If I remember correctly, you use your knee to push it to the right and release it, the roller will come down and start rolling against the iron and just keep rolling until you stop it by pushing the level again to release it. If you push the level to the right and hold it there, the roller will come down on the iron, roll for a few seconds, then lift up, come down again, roll, and lift up again, and just keeps repeating this process until you release the lever. Is this what yours is doing?

ThayerRags 06-14-2011 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
..."User's Manual for Ironrite Mangle... Model 85 Instruction Manual ... a roller cover ... also a service manual ...

I have a new copy of the operating manual that came yesterday. There’s also some good videos that I found on Google that Ironrite made back years ago, showing how to use the ironer. I think I’ll try making my own roller cover, but I might look into the Service Manual.

There’s very little oil in the gearbox, so I didn’t run it long enough to really determine how the levers respond or what they need. I’ll test them better once I get some oil in it.

Thanks for your help.

CD in Oklahoma

Carol's Quilts 06-14-2011 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
..."User's Manual for Ironrite Mangle... Model 85 Instruction Manual ... a roller cover ... also a service manual ...

I have a new copy of the operating manual that came yesterday. There’s also some good videos that I found on Google that Ironrite made back years ago, showing how to use the ironer. I think I’ll try making my own roller cover, but I might look into the Service Manual.

There’s very little oil in the gearbox, so I didn’t run it long enough to really determine how the levers respond or what they need. I’ll test them better once I get some oil in it.

Thanks for your help.

CD in Oklahoma

You're most welcome. Good luck. I kinda envy you! Those pictures bring back so many memories. Let us know how it's going!

Central Ohio Quilter 06-14-2011 05:10 AM

My mom had one of those when I was little! It would be great for ironing yardage!