Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does a fabric stash have an expiration date? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-fabric-stash-have-expiration-date-t32967.html)

LisaT 01-02-2010 05:45 PM

Seriously wondering this. I am cleaning out stuff because we just don't have room to keep things we don't use/need.

I'm having a hard time parting with some fabric but at the same time I'm wondering if it's going to be any good when I finally have the time to get to it. I'm thinking that will be in 13 years or so when my little one turns 18! :?

Thoughts?

Bill'sBonBon 01-02-2010 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by LisaT
Seriously wondering this. I am cleaning out stuff because we just don't have room to keep things we don't use/need.

I'm having a hard time parting with some fabric but at the same time I'm wondering if it's going to be any good when I finally have the time to get to it. I'm thinking that will be in 13 years or so when my little one turns 18! :?

Thoughts?

Golly I hope not. I have some skirts and pjs,imbroiderd scarfs. That I entend to use in quilts one day. They aren't Fabric like fat quarters or anything. But the skirts were when they were teens and some baby clothes were my 2 DD and they will be..youngest 46 ,next Friday the 8th. the oldest 47...18 days later Tuesday the 26th.
I have everything stored in one of those bags you use the vacume to suck all the air out and it makes it smaller. Then I have them in a drawer so they don't get light. The bags aren't too exspensive at walmart. Thats what I would do if I had material that old. My opinion, hope I gave you an idea.
BillsBonBon

sharon b 01-02-2010 06:01 PM

As long as it is stored properly, kept out of the sun I would think it would last a long time . I have fabric my mom gave me that is at least 20 years old and it is fine .

LisaT 01-02-2010 06:09 PM

Ok you guys have made me feel better all ready.
I'm still going to thin out but at least now I feel like it's okay to hang on to some.
:D

Tippy 01-02-2010 06:22 PM

Ahhh most of my stash is from the 80's and 90's when I was doing more collecting than stitching. I had it stored in opaque plastic tubs and it's as good as ever. Stash on!!!

omak 01-02-2010 06:43 PM

Did I ever tell you about the box my mom sent me?
She had found it in my closet at the home I grew up in.
As near as I can remember ... the fabric had been in that cardboard box for 25 years! - - and, it is STILL in that box and is living quite well, until I can figure out what to do with it!

Ninnie 01-02-2010 06:47 PM

I hope not, I have some that old. I keep it closed up, out of the light , and it looks like new still,.

littlehud 01-02-2010 08:58 PM

I think if you store it right it will be fine for a long long time. I hope so anyway cause I have some I have had a long time.

amma 01-02-2010 09:03 PM

There are quilts on display that have been used and stored for how many years?? decades?? century?? I think if they are stored well, they will all be fine :D:D:D

Leota 01-02-2010 09:08 PM

If you store it properly, dry and dark, then it will keep forever...I have inherited fabrice that is over 50 years old and still in excellent condition....I have made garments from it.