Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Doing good in one area but not in another (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/doing-good-one-area-but-not-another-t95596.html)

karensue 01-31-2011 02:59 PM

I managed to go one month without buying any fabric - that's an accomplishment - just keep telling myself I need to save my money for the Dewing Expo coming in March.

Well today I looked at my WIP (about 10 quilt tops done but need quilting which I hate to do).

Then I looked at all the "kits" or "bundles" of fabric that I've bought over the past few years - many of those just sitting there all nicely bundled.

And of course, there the "stash" of fabric and patterns and books sitting on the shelves nice and neat.

But I'm just not in the mood to do anything -- I need motivation. There are days I actually unplug the computer so I won't be on it all day, but apparently that's not helping either. I have a list a mile long "in my head" of all the things I want to do and I have the time and the materials to do them, just don't know why I can't get "kick started".

Does any one else have this problem or solution.

I am wasting my days and that's not too smart.

Karen

ckcowl 01-31-2011 03:12 PM

some times it takes making something small (instant gratification) to get the creative juices flowing again, but don't be too hard on your self...it is a commen ailment for the month after the holidays...the winter is dreary, the holiday---rush=== is over and it is just time to....well, you know...but go make something small, done in a couple hours, like a new tote bag maybe decorate a sweatshirt.

seamstome 01-31-2011 03:13 PM

Call a quilting friend. Maybe you two could swap projects. You do something she doesnt like to do and vice versa.

Or try doing something a different way. Like the poster who cut the D9P on the diagonal or do a project PP'd.

If you cant buy any new fabric, can you swap a kit with somebody so you have something different to work on? That's not technically buying!

sewmuchmore 01-31-2011 03:13 PM

I know how you feel. But somethime you just have to make yourself sew something and before you know it you got your grove back :lol: :lol: YOU CAN DO IT :thumbup:

Jill 01-31-2011 03:27 PM

I've been in a slump several times and this is what works for me. I usually give it a little bit of time, then I just make myself pick up a project, figure out what needs to be done, and then finish it. Usually it doesn't take long to finish and then I pick another one and so on. After a project or two I'm back into the quilting mood. One time I made a list of my UFO's and then asked my DH to pick a number between 1 and 10 and whichever number he picked, I finished it.

thequilterslink 01-31-2011 03:28 PM

i joined the block of the month swap and the doll quilt swap, it keeps me sewing when i am not feeling up to it, gotta fill my obligations, and i find myself really enjoying it. When Steelers won, i made my neice a tote of their fabric, and it got me wantting to sew more, so i started a 4 patch posie, i love making it, each block is so different. Hopefully something will inspire you.

craftybear 01-31-2011 03:30 PM

you can do it, we will motivate you to get back into sewing and quilting, work on a small project, good luck

AngieS 01-31-2011 03:31 PM

I suggested earlier to someone else that you make out a list of your kits and pick the one that will be done the quickest! You'll get your mojo back in no time! =)

Ramona Byrd 01-31-2011 03:32 PM

Write yourself a list. Put down everything you have to do, then when it's done, cross it out. That will make you feel better, even if it is "run to the bathroom and shut the door before the dogs/cats try to get in with me" and then you can mark it off and feel good about yourself.

On second thought, knowing how fast my Koko the cat is, maybe you should just write down "run to the bathroom and shut the door on the cats/dogs when they run ahead of you and go have a candy bar."
Then you'll feel better after eating it and marking it off your list.

Baysidegal 01-31-2011 03:39 PM

This time of year is always tough for me. I am finally starting to work on simple projects and finish UFO's from the holiday to get back in gear. It took me almost all month to get where I am at!