Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Doing my best to not... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/doing-my-best-not-t153592.html)

orangeroom 09-17-2011 04:36 AM

To go on a shop hop that finishes up today and tomorrow. It was easy for me to not go the last two days as I worked 7a-8p. However, I really want to go, but know I shouldn't. I have plenty of fabric.

What are you trying your best not to do? Why or why not?

sueisallaboutquilts 09-17-2011 04:39 AM

I have been eating like a piglet lately. I think I know why.
I love baseball and the season is nearing the end. My team is in first place but anything can happen and every game is a nail biter- except I eat food instead LOL

ptquilts 09-17-2011 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom
To go on a shop hop that finishes up today and tomorrow. It was easy for me to not go the last two days as I worked 7a-8p. However, I really want to go, but know I shouldn't. I have plenty of fabric.

Maybe go and just bring a little money? So you can have fun and not spend too much.

Carol J. 09-17-2011 05:40 AM

But a new sewing machine when I already have 3 and a serger.

Carol J.

suezquilts 09-17-2011 05:49 AM

My problem is, I know a secret and I want to share it, but I have to wait till Monday. Wisconsinites beware!
shop away!

QuiltE 09-17-2011 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom

Shop Hops do not mean you have to make purchases! Of course, that's the ploy ... and many of us bite.

Go with a "mission". It doesn't need to be fabric. What do you want to learn about?

I started this after I saw a lady on a Hop last year, with a pattern along with a plastic bin of fabrics. Her goal was to find all that she needed during the Hop. I've since done the same, with a project to organize and have all that's needed to start later.

Though it doesn't have to be fabric ..... here's my story from this summer ....

There was a month-long Shop Hop, nine stores covering many miles. I probably went to another nine that weren't in the Hop. As I went into each store, I told them that I was on the Hop, and new to their store, so please do tell me about your store, and what is your specialty? or what's unique? I was warmly received and given the Royal Tour!

At some point, I would also tell them that my mission on this Hop was the 4B's (Borders, Backings, Battings, and Bindings), to learn more about these, and expand my ideas. Oh the help I received, and things they showed me ..... and I'm most certain that many of them I would not have "seen" if I hadn't been so forthcoming.

Best.Shop.Hop.Ever!!!!

And honestly, since I've started doing Hops in this fashion, I've enjoyed them more, and more, and more!

.............. and yes, fabric and notions have followed me home. Though with probably more thought and definite planned usage than in the past!

So Get Up, Get Moving and Goooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

CoyoteQuilts 09-17-2011 07:09 AM

I go just to get ideas and I have a list this time. Can't go over it cause the money just isn't there :). I have hit 3 stores and have 2 ideas. Worth it to me.... I also took a scrap book to write down ideas....

jmabby 09-17-2011 07:20 AM

Go without any means of buying, leave your money, CC and bank cards at home. Take enough to have a cup of coffee, enjoy all the beautiful work others have done. Have a nice fun day talking to other quilters.

CorgiNole 09-17-2011 07:33 AM

I went to 7 stores yesterday on the Quilt! Carolina Stash Dash. My goal was to find the fabrics I need for a pet portraits class that I'm taking on Sunday. I came home with lots of fat quarters and a sense of accomplishment.

Cheers, K

AliKat 09-17-2011 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by jmabby
Go without any means of buying, leave your money, CC and bank cards at home. Take enough to have a cup of coffee, enjoy all the beautiful work others have done. Have a nice fun day talking to other quilters.

Heresy! I need at least a little money just in case I find something I really want that is on sale. And, of course, a coffee stop too.

ali