Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   From Don-isewman---???'s for any/everyone (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/don-isewman-s-any-everyone-t223693.html)

isewman 06-14-2013 12:37 PM

From Don-isewman---???'s for any/everyone

I think, I'm in the right area for this ??. A member in this group wants me to make her a DBLE wedding ring quilt top. The ?, I have is how much should I charge her. We've have sent email's between us. But not so much on a cost. She said she will buy material. I don't have no problem on dong this for a member. In away, I wont do it for a arm and a leg, but don't want to be cheap, either. And I don't want her to fill like she's in a hole, and cant get her self out. Help please

chips88 06-14-2013 12:50 PM

it is nice of you to do this, but you have to charge for your time. thread, needles, batting. shipping charges. make sure you get at least half up front money. good faith money..

valleyquiltermo 06-14-2013 12:53 PM

I charge for all supplies and then $20.00 an Hr.

Latrinka 06-14-2013 01:12 PM

ooooh, that's a toughie! No advice, but good luck!

Jan in VA 06-14-2013 02:16 PM

Size of top?
Who provides batting, thread, backing?
Who pays shipping BOTH ways?

Ask for half of the amount UP FRONT, and the rest BEFORE you ship the completed quilt to her.
Decide, agree on, and sign a written contract that, among other things, designates how conflicts will be handled and that YOU will keep the quilt if she does not pay the final balance.

Remember this little quote: "Business is 'business', and friendship is 'bull sh-t'."
*You* might be making this because she asked and is also a member here with you, but she is still *hiring* you to do a job. Treat it as such. If you don't value what you do, do not expect her to. Start at $250 and work *up* from there.

Jan in VA

DebraK 06-14-2013 02:25 PM

yep, $250 minimum.

Holice 06-14-2013 03:15 PM

You are in for a veeeeery long job to do a double wedding ring. I don't know how to estimate the time
it will take so since there is no time chart I would make one block and time every step. Turn it into a pillow and quilt it . It took me 5 hrs to bind a king recently. Friendship aside, how much is your time worth?i searched on Amish hand made quilts I found lots of sites. Two listed double wedding quilts. Lowest price was $395 and another at $695. Is the buyer aware of the work involved. I spent over a week making a d9p which was much much easier and I wouldn't do another. For $250 the fabric alone was $100. So don, be very cautious. Money up front with everything in writing as Jan suggests. If she pauses at a price suggest she check out the Internet for indication of prices.

Dolphyngyrl 06-14-2013 03:22 PM

Me personally for something that difficult I would charge at least 500, that is a lot of work

AliKat 06-14-2013 03:57 PM

SO many ?'s.

OK, so she ships you the fabric. Will she be cutting the material or piecing at all? Or does she want you to do it all?

For me the cutting would take the longest. The piecing - whether PP or regular piecing - would takejust a bit less time. The quilting would go fast.

hopetoquilt 06-14-2013 05:24 PM

There is an accuquilt die for the double wedding ring. If able to use that, your life would be much easier. Are you hand or machine piecing and are you quilting or solely piecing the top?