Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   From Don-isewman1--- Need help again (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/don-isewman1-need-help-again-t12054.html)

isewman 10-09-2008 09:24 AM

I have a question for anyone(everyone)..I have a quilt (really 2). One for my brother, and 1 for me...The one I need help on is getting the right size triangles, from sewing 2 squares, on a rectangle..1 on the right side, and the other to the left..The quilt is asking that you cut out a 2 1/2 sq., and lay it on the 2 1/2 square rectangle, and then sew down the middle of the square, and do the same for the other side.. Dimension's are (2)-- 2 1/2 square, and 1 -- 2 1/2 by 4 1/2 rectangle. Can any one give me the correct size triangle for the 2 1/2" squares, and the correct size triangle for the rectangle, after the squares, are sewed to each side.. I have played around with what I've mentioned, but don't really come out exactly the same.. I don't mind sewing triangles, to another tiangle. Work's out better for me..

mary quite contrary 10-09-2008 09:31 AM

You aren't going to cut the triangle until after you sew the square onto the rectangle. Sew from corner to corner then cut 1/4" away from your sewing. Then press and do the same on the other corner. I'm assuming you are making a flying geese? Remember to press before you sew on the other corner.

If this doesn't answer your question I'll do pictures. Or maybe someone else can explain it better.

babeegirl 10-09-2008 09:42 AM

a trick I learned from a previous quilt guild member when doing flying geese blocks this way....when you sew from corner to corner on the square, stitch another line a half inch out, or at least a reasonable amount to have a good seam allowance between the 2 lines of stitching, from your first line of stitching. Cut down the middle, and you'll have not only your flying geese block but also 2 half square triangles for another project instead of just tossing those ears into the trash can.

Izy 10-09-2008 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by babeegirl
a trick I learned from a previous quilt guild member when doing flying geese blocks this way....when you sew from corner to corner on the square, stitch another line a half inch out, or at least a reasonable amount to have a good seam allowance between the 2 lines of stitching, from your first line of stitching. Cut down the middle, and you'll have not only your flying geese block but also 2 half square triangles for another project instead of just tossing those ears into the trash can.

Good tip Babeegirl!!

quiltmaker101 10-09-2008 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Izy

Originally Posted by babeegirl

Good tip Babeegirl!!

That is a great tip. I learned it from quiltville.com Problem is, now I have about 1200 1 to 1 1/2 inch HSTs!

Izy 10-09-2008 10:36 AM

Ooooh I wish I had them, I am presently making up 16 patch blocks that finish to 3" each square is 3/4"....tiny :shock: I am looking for a pattern to use them in, but I suppose it will just evolve - HST was my next idea lol!!