Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Double Wedding Ring Baby Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/double-wedding-ring-baby-quilt-t192850.html)

chickadeee55 06-26-2012 01:38 PM

Double Wedding Ring Baby Quilt

Has anyone mada a baby quilt using the double wedding ring pattern? I am seeing 1930's fabrics with a soft cream background. Just don't know if using that pattern for a baby quilt is right. After all it is called wedding ring.

ArtsyOne 06-26-2012 01:40 PM

I think it would be beautiful for a baby - you could go heavy on the blues or the pinks depending on whether you know the sex of the baby. Call it "Ring Around The Rosy".

sahm4605 06-26-2012 02:10 PM

I think it would be wonderful for a baby quilt. Keepsake quilting (I think) has a bed runner that is like a double wedding ring but with star pokey points that make it fab. Maybe his variation would be nice.

DonnaR 06-26-2012 03:07 PM

Not sure I would want to put all that work into it for the baby to spit up on it. I make mine and tell the recipient that it is to be used and not just put away.

Dolphyngyrl 06-26-2012 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaR (Post 5319050)
Not sure I would want to put all that work into it for the baby to spit up on it. I make mine and tell the recipient that it is to be used and not just put away.

I agree thats a lot of work for a baby quilt that will get spit up on and only used a brief time. DWQ is more of a keepsake because of the work put into it

Havplenty 06-26-2012 04:46 PM

baby quilts can be used through the toddler years if made a good size. i made 45" double sided flannel baby blankets for my friends and they used them for years. i think you should use any pattern that you want to make your baby quilt. colors and fabric patterns can play a key role in keeping it kid friendly but really today, quilters are using all colors/patterns to make baby quilts: browns, grays, blacks/whites; colors i normally would not have associated with baby quilt.

have fun with your quilt project and good luck. using some wonderfully busy prints (and good quality fabrics) will help to camouflage many spit up spots.:thumbup:

JustAbitCrazy 06-26-2012 08:33 PM

If you want to cut down on the amount of work to do with the dwr baby quilt, you can use solid pieces of fabric for the arcs, instead of joining small pieces of fabrics to make the arcs. I have seen large dwr quilts done that way. Still gorgeous! There are also template rulers you can buy to use to rotary cut the pieces. Good luck!

auntpiggylpn 06-26-2012 08:53 PM

I tend to make my baby quilts from fabrics that aren't babyish. I also make them larger than a baby quilt. This way, the quilt can move on with the baby as it ages. I say "Go For It"!!!!

chickadeee55 06-27-2012 02:39 AM

Thank you everyone for your ideas and comments. I think I will try this pattern for the baby quilt, the stars are a good idea.

The quilt will be made to be used, I agree, colorful with some prints and hopefully it will be dragged around and loved. Whenever I give a quilt, I put a note in it that it is to be used and loved. My work going into it is free therapy for me and enjoyment, I would hate to think of it put away just to be kept safe.

Now to go think of colors.

GailG 06-27-2012 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5319181)
I agree thats a lot of work for a baby quilt that will get spit up on and only used a brief time. DWQ is more of a keepsake because of the work put into it

I disagree. If it is a good quality fabric and is washed properly, it will be fine. The only thing is that the quilter has to decide whether he/she is making it for a show piece or for one that is to be enjoyed by the baby. That precious baby is worth it. Happy quilting!